Gdnet Black (Alpha)

Started by
60 comments, last by EDI 13 years, 1 month ago
If you look at the bottom of the page, you'll see that there is now a little drop-down box that lets you change your skin (if you're logged in).

I've put together the very beginnings of a dark-based theme, for those of you who HATE THE LIGHT, SSSSSSSSS. It's more of a proto-skin at the moment, but it should allow you to read threads in a lot more comfort. I'll work through the other major pages and fix them as well in time, but I figured that some of you might like to start using it now. Be aware that it is under construction, so don't be surprised if you're browsing the site, and suddenly: POW, RIGHT IN THE KISSER. Er, I mean, the stylesheet.

So yeah. Enjoy. Let me know if you've got better palette suggestions, I'm not an artist and have really just picked shades at random most of the time.

One thing that would help me would be if anyone else is happy to contribute CSS rules to the skin. That way I can just copy and paste them in, and it'll all be done a lot faster.

(edit by Gaiiden)
Please everyone if you notice issues with the black theme, do not use the Feedback tab, but report them here so everyone can see them, offer corrections and superpig can also have all issues in one place for making edits to the theme.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
Approve so far. Can you apply similar to the reply box? Not a huge deal because you use it less frequently, but if it's trivial to implement it might be nice.
Ah, much better. Though I'd prefer that the grey be a little darker, I'd say that this is much easier on my eyes.
This should make quotes and code blocks nicer:
[attachment=944:changes.png]

.pln {
color: lightGrey;
}
.pun {
color: blue;
}
.kwd {
color: #1CF;
}
div.blockquote{
background: #1C1C1C;
border-color: #6FA987;
border-style: solid;
border-width: 1px 1px 1px 3px;
font-size: 0.9em;
margin: 0px;
margin-top: 0px;
}

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Thank you. This is so much easier on the eyes.

Only issue I see so far is you have a dark blue font for the "Share this topic" near the bottom of the page, right above the fast reply, which is really hard to read now. But other than that minor issue, everything seems fine.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
YAAAY! Now I no longer have to suffer. Upvotes abound!
clb: At the end of 2012, the positions of jupiter, saturn, mercury, and deimos are aligned so as to cause a denormalized flush-to-zero bug when computing earth's gravitational force, slinging it to the sun.
Definitely prefer this theme to the other one. I still think something needs to be done about the vertical space usage for the profile and awards though.

Definitely prefer this theme to the other one. I still think something needs to be done about the vertical space usage for the profile and awards though.

Appears to be better now with smaller award icons. I did like how the old forums had the avatar in the top left of the box with the vertical bar with the user name coming out of it... Still, it's nice to see you guys improving things on the fly. Fantastic work!
The post text is too low-contrast to the post background color in this theme; make the post background a little darker, and we'll be in business.
I've dropped the background colour by a little bit, it should come through in a few minutes once the caches pick it up. We'll see how it looks.

I've also dropped post count display from the user info panels. I think it's a detrimental thing to display in a forum, because it causes people to post stupid off-topic stuff like 'OH HEY LOOK MY POST COUNT IS 1337 LOOOOOOOL' etc. It also has the benefit of reducing the space usage a little bit. Thoughts, anyone?

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement