• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
JLeeIII

Better Missile Command

This topic is 2714 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wanted to see some input on any missile command lovers and what would you add to the game style now days.

Upgrading your defense missile types with faster, bigger hit areas, auto tracking, spreads?
Should the user buy the upgrades with rewarded money?

What if the objects falling are not missiles? There is an iPhone game that has parachuting zombies (reviews tell the tilt usability sucks though)
When playing a game like this, do you like to click where you want your missile to detonate at, drag-path-follow, or sling shot style firing for repeated/addictive trial and error?

[Edit 1-13-11]
I'm liking the feedback here so far. Thanks
Iron Chef - Good ideas and input
Lithos, MSW - You two are very right, the more it changes the more it could be rejected by players.

Advertisement
I used to play missle command all the time. I think that upgrades would be more of a burden than an AID. Missile command is one of those games where you just go non-stop, with something like 5 second pauses when score is calculated and missiles respawned.

You might be able to make a better missile command with missiles that slowly restore, instead of a level mechanic. Then graphical glitz where the cities 'dynamically' grow, instead of a static picture.

Missile Command is a classic, I love that game. If I were to beef it up with features and glitz, I'd probably take my cues form the tower defense genre. Upgradeable turrets, different types of turret, different types of targets, "special moves", that sort of thing. I think the original had some missiles that would split into multiple missiles if you took too long shooting them down, right? If not, add that. Also, missiles that swerve and veer randomly, missiles that try to avoid the expanding blast from your missiles, missiles that target your missiles and try to destoy them, bomber planes that drop missiles, be creative. For your weaponry, you could have a lot of the same stuff: Splitting missiles that have multiple low-yield warheads in a scatter formation, big slow missiles, small fast missiles, interceptor planes, homing missiles, flak, decoy missiles, THEL beams, etc. Upgrades could influence rate of fire (cooldown-based missiles?), size of detonation, speed of missiles or even HP of missiles for when they either are targeted by bad guys or fly through active explosions of yours. Superpowers could range from orbital lasers to ground-defense energy shields, "overdrive" mode, etc. Also, some support structures, like a radar tower that lets you zoom out and see the targets sooner, or one that makes your homing missiles more accurate, or one that scrambles the enemy homing missiles' tracking.

Lots of options.

Missile Command is a lot like the Lotus 7. Both have razor sharp focus on thier respective mechanics and are purpose build machines...

Adding lots of options through upgrades turns the Lotus 7 into an RV...Perfect for RV fans. But thats NOT what makes the Lotus 7, and thus Missile Command the highly regarded classics both still are today.

You want to make a better Missle Command? Then focus on and refine the mechanics, not obfuscate them under the burden of weighty options. Missile Command is a lean mean fighting machine, its best to keep it that way.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!