How to make a program?

Started by
7 comments, last by Puyover 13 years, 3 months ago
I made a C++ project (really its only got one script) and I like it, i used an Allegro library. I want to send it to my friends, how do I make it into a program usable by my buddies who do not have dev-c++ and/or allegro installed?
::Get your paw on::
Advertisement
how do I make it into a programYou compile your code as usual.

dev-c++ and/or allegro installed?

First off. Don't use dev-c++. Lots of people around here will come by with more convincing links. But get yourself a real compiler like Visual Studio Express 2010.

Secondly, all you should have to do is compile the program in "release" mode, and give the resultant exe to your friend (along with all the data files that you made for it if any).

First off. Don't use dev-c++. Lots of people around here will come by with more convincing links. But get yourself a real compiler like Visual Studio Express 2010.

Secondly, all you should have to do is compile the program in "release" mode, and give the resultant exe to your friend (along with all the data files that you made for it if any).

Agreed - get Visual Studio 2010 express it's free and it's good. If you do this though, you will also have to distribute the Visual Studio runtimes if your friends do not also have VS 2010 installed.

[font="Calibri"]http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=a7b7a05e-6de6-4d3a-a423-37bf0912db84&displaylang=en

Wow, that's a massive downside to MSVS in my eyes. I'm even more glad I don't use that IDE or compiler now.

Regarding Dev-C++, here's a link somebody else posted on here a long time ago. It's funny that given the amount of criticism I've heard, so many people still use it.

If you want a single exe file you can hand out:
1) get a compiler that doesn't need extra cruft installed on end-user machines (I use MinGW)
2) make sure Allegro and any other libraries are statically linked so you don't need to ship separate DLLs (some libs make this easier than others)
3) Compile in 'release' mode as above

All being well, you'll end up with one simple executable file to copy & share. When distributing software though, be aware of licensing law - Allegro 5 uses zlib copyright for instance. Static linking can come into this.

'KulSeran' said:

Agreed - get Visual Studio 2010 express it's free and it's good. If you do this though, you will also have to distribute the Visual Studio runtimes if your friends do not also have VS 2010 installed.

[font="Calibri"]http://www.microsoft…&displaylang=en

Why is that? I've used Visual Studio 2008, and I didn't have to take any libraries with me. Is there something 2010 adds?

Yo dawg, don't even trip.

Aight, thanks guys
::Get your paw on::

Why is that? I've used Visual Studio 2008, and I didn't have to take any libraries with me. Is there something 2010 adds?

No, he's just wrong about it. You can statically link against the CRT with MSVC.
Well, if you don't want to use Visual Studio, then use Code::Blocks. It is continually updated and has a large community behind it and other developing plugins for it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement