• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
opossum

Remove incorrect edges of a 3D reconstruction from a depthmap

This topic is 2893 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

I create a 3D rendering of a depthmap and I am facing a problem:
All plans of the model are connected together or at the bottom with long edge, and I don't know how to remove these sides.
With an example it will be easier (The examples are not mine, I found them on google image) :
Example where we can see that the model is connected to the bottom with long faces. Another example.
I use triangleList, that I fill with :
for(int y = 0; y < depthmap_height-1; y++)
{
for(int x = 0; x < depthmap_width-1; x++)
{
CustomVertex.PositionNormalTextured pnt = new CustomVertex.PositionNormalTextured();
pnt.X = (float)x;
pnt.Y = (float)y;
pnt.Z = (float)GetAltFromDepthmap(x,y);
pnt.Tu = (float)((float)x / (float)(width -1));
pnt.Tv = (float)((float)y / (float)(height -1));
}
}
// Following addition of the vertex in the vertex buffer, and then calculating
normal.
- What is the way to remove these long faces on the side of the model?

-What is the best way to remove a face in the shader?
For now, I success with output.position =0 , placed in the pixel shader, but it doesn't work in the vertex shader. And I know that is it a bad way to remove a face from the screen.

PS : [font="arial, sans-serif"]I found a trick in searching for images for example:[/font] here.
They say : "remove surfaces that are at a sharp angle to the viewing direction". But I don't know how to start with this.

Can you help me please?

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!