• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
technopulse

Problem with Visual Studio (c++) and TFS

This topic is 2808 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys :)

I have one problem. I need Team Foundation Server , but I can't install it. I install Visual Studio 2005 , but there in the main menu (File, edit, view ... ect.) is no such thing like "Team". I download Visual studio 2008 ... and the same problem :X Then I download Visual C++ 2008 from microsoft download center .. and again I have no such menu "Team". Two friends told me that their using 2010 and they have "Team" in the menu. Can Somebody help me :?

Advertisement
There are multiple editions of Visual Studio. They range from the free "express" edition, to "standard" or "professional", up to the much more expensive "ultimate" edition.

On the server side, you need to have the actual server product running. TFS in turn requires some other server products like MS SharePoint and Exchange in order to use all the features.

For 2008 series of client software only the "team system" product had it in the menus. If you have the free "Express" product , or the non-free "Standard" or "Professional" products, they will not have the team system information.

For the 2010 series, the free "express" editions and "essentials" editions do not have it. The details of what Team System features are present depend on if you have "Professional", "Premium", or "Ultimate" installed.

If the menu isn't on there verify that the product you installed is one of those with TFS components.

You don't need TFS, especially if your a beginner and don't even know how to use and install TFS.

It sounds to me like your friends might be using some illegally acquired software.

If you've downloaded this from MSDNAA, which as far as I know is the only place where you can legally get hold of such things freely, you might want to check the list of products for standalone TFS server software. Also ensure that you've got the right edition of VS, as there's a whole lot of them in the list.

3 days i was trying and i always havn't got the tfs and today i installed Visual Studio 2010 and TFS comes with it :) So i solve my problem :) thanks

3 days i was trying and i always havn't got the tfs and today i installed Visual Studio 2010 and TFS comes with it :) So i solve my problem :) thanks

If that's what you think, then you do not understand what TFS really is. It would be like installing Outlook and then proclaiming that Exchange Server comes with it.

Best of luck on your project.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!