• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
themadme

Creating a Setup exe

This topic is 2714 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

So far i have been trying to figure out a good way of creating an installer for application to be used on any machine and then create a video about it so other can also can learn to do it quickly.

Currently I am programming with DirectX and so far i have read how to create an installer from using visual studio 2010 thanks to msdn and from the this post. The App will be installed in the specified folder.

I also learned how to integrate DirectSetup with visual studio 2010 thanks from the directx documentation and form the this web page, now it will install the required directx redist files for the app.

Now the only thing i have left to do is to create an autorun.exe file and to have the installer to install, if needed, a visual studio redist files?

For the visual studio redist, im guessing i just required to download the correct vcredist_x?? exe and execute that file.

for the autorun, im guessing i would need to to create an other app, build that to do all the DirectSetup, vcredist, etc installing, and then finally execute the installer exe for the app?

I was wondering if anyone else has done this? Would be kindly to give some more advice i dont know about, like for example, there is way to skining the installer windows or be able to check if the pc requires any of the additional DirectSetup stuff, etc.

Oh and how do you create a shortcut of the app on the users desktop or added into the game folder?

Thanks for reading :)

Advertisement

Hi,

So far i have been trying to figure out a good way of creating an installer for application to be used on any machine and then create a video about it so other can also can learn to do it quickly.

Currently I am programming with DirectX and so far i have read how to create an installer from using visual studio 2010 thanks to msdn and from the this post. The App will be installed in the specified folder.

I also learned how to integrate DirectSetup with visual studio 2010 thanks from the directx documentation and form the this web page, now it will install the required directx redist files for the app.

Now the only thing i have left to do is to create an autorun.exe file and to have the installer to install, if needed, a visual studio redist files?

For the visual studio redist, im guessing i just required to download the correct vcredist_x?? exe and execute that file.

for the autorun, im guessing i would need to to create an other app, build that to do all the DirectSetup, vcredist, etc installing, and then finally execute the installer exe for the app?

I was wondering if anyone else has done this? Would be kindly to give some more advice i dont know about, like for example, there is way to skining the installer windows or be able to check if the pc requires any of the additional DirectSetup stuff, etc.

Oh and how do you create a shortcut of the app on the users desktop or added into the game folder?

Thanks for reading :)

I recommend using a program to create one automatically. I personally chose redshift.

http://www.stormdance.net/software/redshift%20freestyle/overview.htm

When I've done it in the past, I've used Inno Setup. It's fairly easy to make an installer that copies some files, runs a few packaged installers, and do the usual installer stuff (choose the install directory, have options for desktop shortcut/start menu shotcut, etc). It has a wizard, you can just edit the install script directly to do more advanced stuff. Lots of people also use Nullsoft, which (IMO) is a bit harder to use but has more features. WiX is also popular, but is pretty advanced and probably overkill for something that just copies files and runs the DX redist.

And yeah, all you need to do is run dxsetup (make sure you only include the .CAB files for the components you actually need), and run the vcredist. They both even have "silent" flags you can pass on the command line, which are "/silent" for DXSetup and "/q:a" for vcredist.

Awesome replies MJP and blueshogun96[color="#1C2837"], really useful links and knowledge, much appreciated.
[color="#1C2837"]

[color="#1C2837"]Ill take a look at the other installers and experiment how good they are.
[color="#1C2837"]

[color="#1C2837"]Thanks biggrin.gif

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!