• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
suliman

Crime empire simulation/management game. Is chance ok?

This topic is 2810 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi
Im planning a 2D, multiplayer, turnbased game where you run a criminal empire and send your guys around comitting crimes, manufacturing and selling drugs etc.
Each round, each criminal can do one thing, like attempt a crime or spend the turn training or manufacturing or running a bar/brothel etc.

The thing is, is chance boring in such a game?
Assume i want a gangmember to do a simple burglary. You choose that crime and get a estimate on his chances based on gangmembers stats and skills like 72 % to succeed (info will be given what effects what, stealth is important for this job, intelligence contributes nothing etc). If he fails different things may happen, cops might show up, he might break his foot during climbing etc. Could such a setup work? Would it be frustrating to rely on chance or is it viable in an economy simulation? Higher risks may pay of better for example.

Remember, this will be a management game with each player having between 5-15 guys doing jobs so it needs to be streamlined.

Thanks for your input.
Erik

Advertisement

Hi
Im planning a 2D, multiplayer, turnbased game where you run a criminal empire and send your guys around comitting crimes, manufacturing and selling drugs etc.
Each round, each criminal can do one thing, like attempt a crime or spend the turn training or manufacturing or running a bar/brothel etc.

The thing is, is chance boring in such a game?
Assume i want a gangmember to do a simple burglary. You choose that crime and get a estimate on his chances based on gangmembers stats and skills like 72 % to succeed (info will be given what effects what, stealth is important for this job, intelligence contributes nothing etc). If he fails different things may happen, cops might show up, he might break his foot during climbing etc. Could such a setup work? Would it be frustrating to rely on chance or is it viable in an economy simulation? Higher risks may pay of better for example.

Remember, this will be a management game with each player having between 5-15 guys doing jobs so it needs to be streamlined.

Thanks for your input.
Erik

If anything chance is the opposite of boring.
If you have 5-15 goons then it's a tactical game. Something like XCOM, but with gangsters instead of aliens. Might work, but that type of game is usually only for 2 players due to the time it takes to finish a match.
I have seen online games similar to XCOM, where your team is persistent. You play in different scenarios (or cities) against different players, but you build up a team, buying weapons, training skills, as if it were an RPG. But the empire itself, your businesses and headquarters, are not persistent, since you start a new map in each match.

Yeah but there isnt fighting focus really. I dont move my guys around aiming at enemies, i send them on missions and the result is calculated using gangmembers relevant skills.

Sucessful training (depending on intelligence)
+30 XP

Successful street-stickup (loot etc found)
+6 XP
+12 cash
+1 weed

You get the idea. So the game will be about preparing your members and be clever on how to use them. A player may invest in training some guys in chemistry skill and then start pumping out E and LCD for a nice profit. Some may want to focus on hitting banks, so you need good guns and tough members with good weapon-skills.

Major things to do
- recruit new members
- training, developing your guys
- do normal jobs like robbing, burglary, pushing drugs etc
- do special jobs (bigger hiests of opportunity)
- acquire plots and start up illigal businesses (bars, brothels, drugdens etc)
- manufacture drugs and other useful items
- fight and bribe cops

Multiplayer
The actions you take effect the gameworld, which is a city divided into hoods (areas). If you take action in a hood, police alert will go up which effects all players operating in that area.
- Sabotage or join alliance with other player. Fixed team is also possible (e.g. 2v2 on a medium map) 8 players are prob a good maximum.
- Scout to find what another players are up to. Send members as assassins, saboteurs or loud troublemakers (to scare of potential customers and attract police)
- Tip the police off about your rivals.

Possible goals of a game (several may be on during a game, set it before launching server)
- domination (be the last gang standing)
- combat (take control of the city by taking down police)
- political (be the major elect by corrupting the political life)

Planning has been going on low-intensity for several years. Im doing another, more simple network game first to learn more. Any more design input?
Thanks
Erik

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!