• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
LigerZero

Move and Rotate a point around a new origin

This topic is 2714 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to do something like this:
http://img28.imagesh.../i/vectorq.jpg/

The pyramid is linked to the box. I have the positions and rotations of both the green box and the green pyramid. The axis intersecting the green box is at (0, 0, 0) with a rotation of (0, 0, 0). I want to move and rotate this group to the new axis centered in the purple box. I have the position and rotation of the purple box. What I need to know is how to calculate the new rotation and position of the red pyramid.

It's been quite a while since I've done stuff like this, so if someone could help me with formulas and how to use them to calculate the new rotation and position, I would appreciate it.

Here's an example if it would help:
Green box position: (0, 0, 0)
Green box rotation: (0, 0, 0)
Green pyramid position: (-24.81, 43.0345, 4)
Green pyramid rotation: (0, -0.22, 0.64)

Purple box position: (49.4771, 90.9461, 61.0026)
Purple box rotation: (-0.12217, -0.2967, 0.38397)
Red pyramid position: (?, ?, ?)
Red pyramid rotation: (?, ?, ?)

If I use the mission editor, I can get the location and rotation of the red pyramid, and it is:
Red pyramid position: (10.6201, 120.922, 52.3397)
Red pyramid rotation: (-0.274722, -0.386207, 1.01696)

Unfortunately, there is no way to access the function the mission editor uses to rotate the group, so I need math formulas so I can manually do it.

Thanks,
LigerZero

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!