• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DAM1987

Green Horn LF help

This topic is 2890 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How are yall doing, I've been intrested in learning game programming since I was 10 - 11 years old. Was wondering if anyone could advise me of some books on programming and some programs. Again I'm completely new to programming and have had no prior experience in it. I've done some map editors on games like Sim City rollercoaster, I use to like to make rollercoasters not fully made and watch everyone fly to thier death lol. But anyways any good books to read and programs to go with them would be really appreciated. I'm looking into really learning how to program FPS games. Thankyou

Advertisement
I would first read the game dev wiki. It will get you started. You actually can get pretty far without books, so, since you're interested in programming, you must first choose a language and learn it; you can get most of the beginner information off the internet. Then after you have some basic knowledge you'd be in a better position to look for books.

Also, programming a FPS is a difficult task for a beginner, so you prolly want to start MUCH simpler. Like tetris, pong, etc. After you create some basic games you can be in a better position for something more advanced.

Another thing to note is that an GD.net XNA Workshop will begin shortly on Jan 17. This workshop assumes prior knowledge of C# and game programming experience is recommended, but some swift beginners may be able to jump right in. Even if you cannot follow everything it might be wise to follow along as much as you can. And, by the way, C# is an excellent programming language for someone new to programming.

Another option would be to use something like Unity to make your FPS. This engine requires some scripting programming in C# or javascript and, if memory serves, they have an FPS tutorial on their website too. This may allow for a faster start, more results quicker.

Thank you very much for your information, I've been reading up on the different languages and haven't thought of which one to study up on first and fully till now. And thankyou for the tip on GD.net. I might not understand the stuff, but I do believe I'll have a look at it. I'm doing this as a hardcore hobby and if I trully love it I might take some courses to maybe try to get into the field.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!