(SlimDX)Issues with font size.

Started by
2 comments, last by Mike.Popoloski 13 years, 3 months ago
I am trying figure out how wide in pixels a block of monospace text is (amount of characters X width of each character). However, the width is coming out as 0. Looking in the editor, I can see that the width of the font given by the font description is coming out as zero. What am I doing wrong?

Code Snippets:

//Creation Code
font = new SlimDX.Direct3D9.Font(device, new System.Drawing.Font(FontFamily.GenericMonospace, 12));
//....
//Draw Code
font.DrawString(sprite, "Hello World", new Rectangle(0,0,font.Description.Width * 11, font.Description.Height), DrawTextFormat.Center, new Color4(Color.White) );

J.W.
Advertisement
The values of those fields reflect the values of the D3DXFONT_DESC structure which, as noted on that page, reflect the values of the LOGFONT structure.

As you can see in the LOGFONT structure, the [font=Consolas, Courier, monospace][size=2]lfWidth and [font=Consolas, Courier, monospace][size=2]lfHeight members can both be 0.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

So.... if my font has a width of zero according to the structure, how would I find what the width in pixels would be.

MSDN says that if the width is zero: the aspect ratio of the device is matched against the digitization aspect ratio of the available fonts to find the closest match, determined by the absolute value of the difference.

confused on what this means....
J.W.
You can use the MeasureString method on one character to see the dimensions it returns.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement