FORGOT! PLEASE help me to recall!

Started by
6 comments, last by pichpa 13 years, 3 months ago
[font="Comic Sans MS"]Hey guys :D

i have very simple question that i cant recall the answer :blink:

in game design there was a discussion that i forget. :huh:

mini games runs with speed of gamer on pushing exact keys (that shows on screen) of keyboard or console controller (like guitar hero) . what's the name of this technique of design??? :unsure:

pardon :rolleyes:
Advertisement
I'm really not sure what you're asking. But are you refering to "Twich" games?

[edit] forgot the word 'not' somehow.
[font="Comic Sans MS"]nope!
sorry for bad referring. like resident evil Apocalypse .
let me explain more.

i have a interactive cinematic . in cinematic the main character should fight against a wolf .
there should be 2 ending.
1 : character kills the wolf
2 : wolf kills the character

i want a mini game of pushing keys in right time(middle of cinematic! )
what's the name of this kind of mini games?

Are you referring to games like God Of War, where they give you a scripted sequence and flash buttons on the screen? I believe they're called quick-time sequences.
Sounds to me like you're referring to quick-time events. They take several forms, the most basic being a simple button press or a rapid mashing. More sophisticated ones are like a Simple Simon, and can be seen in action sequences in Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy here in the States). Others can represent multiple choices, like the dialogue options in Mass Effect or Fahrenheit.

As an aside, I wonder why I call that game Fahrenheit. I'm only aware of that name academically, having encountered, rented, played and completed it as Indigo Prophecy. Is it some kind of nerd elitism? Do I think more people will know it by the other name? Weird. I don't refer to Secret of Mana as Seiken Densetsu. I don't call Final Fantasy 3 "Final Fantasy 6j".
[font="Comic Sans MS"]Thanks marty & carnage

you both referred to it as quick time events. is there any name for this mini games ?
I don't know a formal name for a prompted button press. It barely qualifies as a minigame, in my mind, since it's just one input, and the "game" consists of seeing the prompt on the screen and pressing the button. If it's more sophisticated, like Rock Band, I'd call it a rhythm game. If it's just remembering a sequence and putting it in, I'd call it a Simple Simon game, and if you're just seeing "Press X to not die" and then pressing X, I'd call it an on-screen prompt.

Your wolf scenario reminds me of the Krauser knife fight in Resident Evil 4, seen here.

But it's not the only example, there are others. The first time I saw it was in Dragon's Lair.

What do you need the name for?
[font="Comic Sans MS"]on-screen prompt! it think it suits my mini games more than the other names. :rolleyes:
thanks buddy :D

I was an author
I never designed any complete project since the project i currently work on.
this is my first official and I should write my plot with academical words , phrases & terms. this is where i need names for :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement