Goods, resources concepts

Started by
8 comments, last by tachidi 13 years, 3 months ago
Hi. I'm working on game concept and have stoped at the resource part. In general, i have goods and resources conception, but i would like to see any examples or another materials on this theme. There is quite hard to find through google, so i ask u - maybe u can help me with links or other suggestions.
Tnx a lot.
Advertisement
and second question - i'm looking for sci-fi resource naming :)
Emperor of the Fading Suns and Deadlock II had nice resources. Everything else had these nightmarish "uranium, deuterium, triatanium, ..." :D

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Tnx, EotFS is cool. It's a pity, that i've missed it earlier, it's necessary to try :)
Are you making a RTS game?
No, it's mostly looks like TBS.
When I worked on "world design" for Riftforge, I started with actual resources - mostly taken from alchemy lists. After all, it's a fantasy RPG. There's a problem when resources are too literal, however, in that you cannot re-combine them to suit your game design.

With this lesson in mind, I suggest you go for generic A-Z resources at first, till you figure our the relationships. Once you have that, you can come up with semi-realistic resource names and descriptions, e.g. tomidium is an exotic metal that is used in the production of explosive devices.

Playing: Riftforge - an online rpg with tactical combat similar to 90s RPGs

Well. There r two types of resources: rare resources and standart. With rare resources i have no problems at all. There r a lot of naming variants, etc. But with usual, standart resources i have some troubles in their naming.

#res1 - the most widely used in building of the different constructions, ships in quite big quantities.
#res2 - less widespread resource, used in scientific sphere, shipbuilding, manufacture of some units.

So, i'm looking for the right "naming concept" for this resources. My last variant was "minerals" and "components", but i'm not sure about 2nd res.
EvE Online has a huge database of items, trade goods, etc. It goes from asteroids (scordite, arkanor, etc.) to minerals (tritanium, isogen, etc.) or from other harvestable things (fullerenes, dysprosium, armospheric gasses) up a complex tech tree including molecules, components, circuitboards, salvages materials, on and on and on. Even if you don't play, you could root around in their item list and get some ideas.

They only have other requirements for some operations. For instance, if you're doing research, it's not enough to have the thing you're studying. You need datacores, example items and tools that help it along. You could include some of those things in your design.

For your second set of items, are you talking about parts of ships, like engine components and hull material, or are you talking about things you'd use in building them, like a weld-bot or a quantum alignment calibrator?
I've played EVE, yeah there r cool resources base and i've used some it's ideas for my rare resources. But I'm looking more "material" and common name, which can open essence of the #res2. As for #res2 - it's quite abstaction and "collective" meaning, i thought, It should consists from different things: details, blocks, mechanical and construction parts, other stuff, etc and have common name like "components".

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement