• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CheddarCheese

SDL Camera Interaction Problem

This topic is 2804 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone, I have a bit of a problem.

I'm working on a C++ SDL game. I just recently inputed the ability to scroll through the level with a camera. However, there is a problem. My game is turn based, and the character can fire his bullet past the limits of the camera screen. I want the player to know where the bullet lands, so I decided I would make the camera follow the bullet, keeping the bullet in the middle of the screen until it hits something.

However, for some reason, when I input the code for following the bullet with the camera, the bullet starts off to the side of the character, instead of from his gun. Without the camera following, the bullet starts from his gun as planned. I'm not completely sure why this is happening, but it seems that the bullet doesn't want to travel separately from the camera, and all the changes made with the position of the camera applies to the bullet as well.

Here is some code I have:

When the "Fire" button is clicked:
//Make the bullet position the same as the player position

Bulletx = ((Player1x) - camera.x);
Bullety = ((Player1y) - camera.y);

In function Bullet::move() :
//Move the Bullet

Bulletx += Velx;
Bullety += Vely;

//Make the camera follow the bullet
camera.x = ( Bulletx + bullet->w/2 );camera.y = ( Bullety + bullet->h/2 );

In function Bullet::show() :
//Show the bullet
apply_surface( Bulletx - bullet->w/2, Bullety - bullet->h/2, bullet, screen );

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong, or what I can do to fix this problem? Thanks.

(P.S. I've posted this in the beginners area, but I don't think it was the correct area.)

Advertisement
This is tricky.

First, nothing's position should be relative to the camera, and the camera's position should be relative to whatever it is following (either the player or his bullet in this case).
So instead of

Bulletx = ((Player1x) - camera.x);
Bullety = ((Player1y) - camera.y);

It should just be

Bulletx = Player1x;
Bullety = Player1y;

Also, you're not changing the bullet's draw coordinate relative to the camera!

apply_surface( Bulletx - bullet->w/2, Bullety - bullet->h/2, bullet, screen );

Should be

apply_surface( Bulletx - camera.x, Bullety - camera.y, bullet, screen );

if I'm understanding your code correctly.

Try those changes and see if it doesn't fix things. :)

@ nfries88: Thanks for your advice! And you were correct, I wasn't drawing the bullet relative to the camera, and that was one of the problems.

The other problem that I had was that the camera still refused to follow the bullet (I'm not sure why), but I worked around that by making the camera move at the same velocity as the bullet. (Instead of making the camera move WITH the bullet)

Thanks for your help, it turns out I was just being dumb.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!