• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
fordfanboi

Importing 3D animated character models

This topic is 2891 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wrote my engine some time ago, and used the .X format to import animated character models. My artist is wanting to move away from this approach and would rather I be able to import motion capture files or some newer standard. I don't have time to write my own converter.

What format is best that has great example code available for C++ using the DX 9.0 SDK?

Thanks!

Advertisement
What format is best that has great example code available for C++ using the DX 9.0 SDK?[/quote]
The DirectX x-file format.

Having said that, you might want to consider the Open Source Asset Importer Library (assimp): http://assimp.sourceforge.net/

Additional suggestion: talk to your artist and explain to him/her that you have an existing engine which has been debugged and (apparently) works fine. In that case, the engine drives the content - not the other way 'round. [smile]

What format is best that has great example code available for C++ using the DX 9.0 SDK?

The DirectX x-file format.

Having said that, you might want to consider the Open Source Asset Importer Library (assimp): http://assimp.sourceforge.net/

Additional suggestion: talk to your artist and explain to him/her that you have an existing engine which has been debugged and (apparently) works fine. In that case, the engine drives the content - not the other way 'round. [smile]
[/quote]

He consistently has one issue or another getting the models exported properly so I'd like to remove that headache and use a more standard exporter that he'd be able to use from new modelling packages.

I'll check out the Open Source Asset Importer Library as suggested.

Thanks!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!