• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bdragoncat

What tools do you use to design a game?

This topic is 2709 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

[size="4"]Hi guys ,

I'm just wondering about what tools do you use (or Suggest) for making a game?

I'm using Dev-C++ and SDL Library making some games for fun. It may not so
professional but they are free.

How about you?

https://sites.google.com/site/xrobot17/project-1

dw22.gif?height=158&width=200

Advertisement
I use visual Studio express C# and C++. They are both free and are the best IDE I know of (That might be a personal opinion tho).

For art tools, I have expensive tastes :)

I too use C++ and SDL; it's great for both 2D and 3D work with OpenGL. I haven't used an IDE in ages though. I run Linux mostly, so I just use Leafpad (a simple text editor) and a script that compiles everything I need using g++. The family computer runs Windows, and I haven't ever gotten around to switching to Code::Blocks, so just use Dev-C++ to see how my code runs on that platform. Once I finally get serious about releasing my project, I'm going to update though. Not too much love here for Dev-C++ as it's not particularly an up-to-date IDE.

For art, I use GIMP and Inkscape. Both are cross-platform and include enough tools to fiddle around with. I prefer GIMP mostly for sprite work whereas I use Inkscape to create detailed, smooth 2D graphics that get rasterized into my game. I have Photoshop on the family computer, but that's far too much beyond my humble needs.

Music is by far the most complicated; it requires several programs just to get anywhere and sound decent. Most of my programs are Linux specific, but here's just my most commonly used ones: QjackCtl, Qsynth (and simultaneously FluidSynth), Hydrogen, Rosegarden, amsynth, and Audacity. Let's not forget the heaps of soundfonts sitting around.

I see no need to use a heavy-duty language when I can use a nimble one instead, so at home I mostly use Python and Pygame. Notepad++ and Idle for writing code, Paint.NET for creating images and pen and paper to work out (game-)design issues.

I like QtCreator to program in, and I like Qt itself. I also use SFML, but SDL is pretty nice too.

Is there some sort of evil fairy which tricks all new game programmers into using Dev C++?

When I first started programming, the C++ book I purchased came with Dev C++ on a companion disc (C++ for Dummies, I think it was). I used it for the first 3 or 4 years of development, and I got so familiar with it, that changing to another IDE was scary. dry.gif

I tried Code::Blocks, and seemed like a decent alternative, but Visual Studio had so many interface buttons that I just uninstalled it and crawled back into my shell. Eventually, I upgraded from Dev C++ to just using MinGW directly via the command prompt, and then moved to Programmer's Notepad. Now I use QtCreator, even for non-QT stuff.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!