What tools do you use to design a game?

Started by
20 comments, last by bdragoncat 13 years, 3 months ago
The course I'm taking was nice and shipped me a free CD of VS 2008 (pretty sure it's the Express version).

I'm on a mac though so I went with Xcode anyway hahaha ;D
Advertisement
Visual studio express is more than enought to create pretty much anything you need. There are lots of useful tools you should look at after you feel comfortable,one I strongly reommend is CMake and their other support tools, easen the burden . But first, get used to VS Express (Code::Blocks is good too, but I strongly recommend VS).

SDL, SFML, or other multipurpose tools are good enough to start with. DirectX or OpenGL is only needed if you want to do some 3D stuff, yet I would recommend you to master 2D first.

'yckx' said:

Avoid Dev-C++. Microsoft's Visual Studio Express is good. So is Code::Blocks. The first link also mentions a couple others that I haven't tried.

Is there some sort of evil fairy which tricks all new game programmers into using Dev C++?

That's a good view point......
The first time I use Dev-C++ because its compact size 4.9mb , and easy to use.
Its not for professional , so you can get into it pretty soon. Just like you may enjoy
a small and fast handy tool rather than a big and complete , but complicate and slow
one.

But anyway , I will move into VS Express :)

Visual studio express is more than enought to create pretty much anything you need. There are lots of useful tools you should look at after you feel comfortable,one I strongly reommend is CMake and their other support tools, easen the burden . But first, get used to VS Express (Code::Blocks is good too, but I strongly recommend VS).

SDL, SFML, or other multipurpose tools are good enough to start with. DirectX or OpenGL is only needed if you want to do some 3D stuff, yet I would recommend you to master 2D first.

You're right. After I tried SDL , I feel DirectX or OpenGL is hard to get into it.
Python, for the language. PyScripter, for the IDE. Panda3d, for the game engine. Photoshop for image editing. Blender for 3d modeling.
If you had my mind, you could rule the world...

Buy and sell 3d models:

The 3d Studio

My website:
Immortal Gaming

Proud to be a Communist living in the U.S.A

I see no need to use a heavy-duty language when I can use a nimble one instead, so at home I mostly use Python and Pygame. Notepad++ and Idle for writing code, Paint.NET for creating images and pen and paper to work out (game-)design issues.

Great reply, sir! I am the same exact way, I still use Paint to build basic components of my graphics & notepad for certain game writing, design, and note keeping.
Actually, Paint.NET is quite a bit more advanced than MS Paint - it's somewhere in-between Paint and Photoshop (and it's free). Layers, a proper history, effects, plugins... I wouldn't want to miss those anymore. ^_^ The same goes for Notepad++ - it's much better than plain old Notepad. Syntax coloring, auto-completion, tabbed interface, plugins (function list, explorer, diff tool)... it's more like a generic light-weight IDE than a text editor really.

Oh, forgot to mention - I'm using SVN for version control. I haven't put much thought into a backup strategy though so that mostly consists of mailing archives to myself, heh.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
I use Delphi 2009 (yup ObjectPascal dev alive here ), OpenOffice for the docs and calculations, UltraEdit for the xml, Lyx for the manual, a bit of photoshop and Maya + Mojoworld for the 3d. For the 3d dev i use mainly OpenGL.

For project updates i use a synch software + SVN/tortoise

when i need to compile C++ projects i use VS2010
---------------------------------
FAR Colony http://farcolony.blogspot.com/
I use C++ with a simple makefile and emacs. Gimp for image editing. Milkshape 3D for my crappy programmer models. OpenGL with SDL or GLUT are my choices for APIs. Any tools needed for editing my games I usually make myself. Putting together a 3D level designer has never been something I shy away from.

Python, for the language. PyScripter, for the IDE. Panda3d, for the game engine. Photoshop for image editing. Blender for 3d modeling.

How do you feel about programming in Python?
I mean , is it simple and easy to write the code compare to C , and how is the efficiency of CPU?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement