• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
AoKaze

Where can I learn how to practice programming?

This topic is 2714 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all. Before I start, let me just say that I have a fairly decent grasp of C-based languages. I'm not fluent, not by a long shot, but I'm not totally illiterate either.

Now, the question I pose to you guys is this. I (and people in general, I reckon) learn better in a classroom because the teacher well...teaches, and gives you a task to perform at the end of class that is designed to help solidify what you've learned in class (provided you were paying attention, of course!). I can do the teaching part, that is, teach myself. What I can't do is practice, because I can't think of anything I would want to do to practice what I've learnt. After a while, I don't remember anything at all and I have to start learning all over again (which is a quick process as I remind myself of certain things). So I ask, does anyone know of a free course that teaches games programming, or a book that teaches a C/C++ with an emphasis on games programming? I don't want tutorials, because they often don't really challenge you to do anything with what you've learnt, which is my problem!

Any help would be fantastic, thanks.

Advertisement
If DirectX 9.0c is available to you, you may want to consider Frank Luna's book Introduction to 3D Game Programming. The emphasis is on game programming in DirectX and C++; example code used for the book is available online; at the end of each chapter there are several "tasks" such as "Using example such-and-such, do it differently using so-and-so."

Searching for code kata and programming praxis should get you a few sites about deliberate make yourself a better programmer sort of practice.

I see an edition of the book Introduction to 3D Game Programming appended with "A Shader Approach". Is this what I'm looking for?

I see an edition of the book Introduction to 3D Game Programming appended with "A Shader Approach". Is this what I'm looking for?

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Game-Programming-Direct-9-0c/dp/1598220160/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295041867&sr=8-1
or
http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-3D-Game-Programming-DirectX/dp/1598220535/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1295041867&sr=8-2
The DX10 edition is newer and better, but may teach some concepts that doesn't apply to current generation of consoles and it of course only supports Vista, Win7 and any future versions of Windows.

However this won't teach you programming, only 3d programming. It requires you already understand inheritance, polymorphy & templates.
Frank Luna have also written a "book" about learning C++, but its bound to the http://www.gameinstitute.com/ but I think they are dead. The page hasn't been updated for years.
The books are called "C++ Module I" and "C++ Module II", maybe you can find them somewhere else.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!