Which Language?

Started by
16 comments, last by theOcelot 13 years, 3 months ago

'Whitesmithgu' said:
Also what are some good IDE/Game Engines for Python or Java?

For Python you might want to Checkout Panda3D. For Java have a look at JMonkey. Of course, I'm sure you'll find other if you look around.

I've seeen these in the past, but I'm aiming for 2D oriented game programing. Is there any good 2D game engines?
Advertisement

You've learned both already so just pick the one you like the best, the one you feel most comfortable programming in. Getting stuff done is the most important consideration here.

Thanks for the advice, but which one has more cabapilities or can do more things more efficiently?

'PolyVox' said:

'Whitesmithgu' said:
Also what are some good IDE/Game Engines for Python or Java?

For Python you might want to Checkout Panda3D. For Java have a look at JMonkey. Of course, I'm sure you'll find other if you look around.

I've seeen these in the past, but I'm aiming for 2D oriented game programing. Is there any good 2D game engines?

For Java there is SlicK http://slick.cokeandcode.com/ He's working on an Android port for it as well (right now it works for stand alone and applet). And for Python I can recommend pyglet. I've used it for making two games for pyWeek. They are both hardware accelerated :)

Edit: Btw I would recommend NetBeans as Java IDE :)

For Java there is SlicK http://slick.cokeandcode.com/ He's working on an Android port for it as well (right now it works for stand alone and applet). And for Python I can recommend pyglet. I've used it for making two games for pyWeek. They are both hardware accelerated :)

Can I run SlicK on Macintosh and am I allowed to sell my game?
If you want to make high-end games for consoles and pc you'll no doubt need to learn C++. You could make Android games as suggested before me with Java.

[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]
'Seaßourne' said:

The only bad thing about [Python] is that its syntax isn't enforced. Like one module might write some functions this way and the next will do it differently.

Wait… what? I fail to see how that's not a universal problem. In fact, Python's significant whitespace makes its syntax more "enforced" than most popular languages.

Yes the whitespace, but the naming of functions, class naming isn't enforced like you see in C# for example. In Python you can def class Foo, the somewhere else you might soo class foo, etc.

'VildNinja' said:

Can I run SlicK on Macintosh and am I allowed to sell my game?

And Windows and Linux and yes you are :)
(BSD License ~ Do whatever you want just don't pretend your game is endorsed by Slick)

'theOcelot' said:

[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]
'Seaßourne' said:

The only bad thing about [Python] is that its syntax isn't enforced. Like one module might write some functions this way and the next will do it differently.

Wait… what? I fail to see how that's not a universal problem. In fact, Python's significant whitespace makes its syntax more "enforced" than most popular languages.

Yes the whitespace, but the naming of functions, class naming isn't enforced like you see in C# for example. In Python you can def class Foo, the somewhere else you might soo class foo, etc.

Hmm, I have not heard of this. Are class names in C# required to be capitalized or CamelCase or something? Cursory googling doesn't tell me much about this.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement