• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CuboDeAgua

DX11 [SlimDX] 50% framerate lost when passing from DX10 to DX11

This topic is 2809 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all.

I've set my engine to be able to use DX10 and DX11 now. The translation was pretty simple and i did it in just a couple of minutes with minor changes because both APIs are very similar.

Rendering thousands of quads using DraIndexed i had 140 fps with DX10 and my CPU time was like 20% for ConstantBuffer updates and only 5% for DrawIndexed calls.

Now, with the same scenario in DX11 i get only 70 fps and the strange thing is that 70% of my CPU time goes to the DrawIndexed calls which was a very cheap call with DX10.

Why is that?

It's a lot more expensive a DrawIndexed call in DX11 (SlimDX11)? I don't think so.

I am running the program in windows Vista. Could that be the reason?

Any idea? ^^

Another information:
I have a ATI 4800 series videocard (dx11 compatible).
I use no blendstate information in shaders. I do it all setting the DeviceContext.

Advertisement
Well... i found the reason of this "mistery".

While making my engine multiple API capable i turned ON the DEBUG mode for the GRAPHICS DEVICE time ago and i just forgot that.

In second place, it looks like microsoft has improved "a lot" the debug tasks in the Draw calls :D.

Because of that improvement (with the debug mode on), the DX11 Draw calls were consuming a lot more than the DX10 ones and this is why i was getting 50% framerate with DX11.

Funny

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!