• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
szalejot

More precise light

This topic is 2809 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm making very simple 3D game (academical java project) using JOGL.
Now every floor tile is one quad (quite big tiles). I'm implementing lights. But (because of big quads) it looks ugly, like tiles are divined to 4 or 5 parts and every part can be lighted or not (no ambient light).
If I want to make it looks better have I do smaller tiles (I tiried that, but this consumes lot of CPU for computing tiles cordinates) or is there other way to make lighting more... hm... better looking.
I thing you get what I mean.

Advertisement
Are you familiar with per pixel lighting? It sounds like your problem is vertex based lighting with too small resolution. Per pixel lighting evaluates the light dot product at every pixel instead of very vertex, so you get nice light characteristics regardless of polygon size.

You will have to implement pixel shaders to achieve this though.

It's very simple project, more java then OpenGL. I think, that I will spend too much time learning shaders (I've never implemented them before) to make it before deadline.
If I want to get higher vertex lightning only way is to make smaller vertexes?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!