• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
GameDesignDan

Techniques for getting the player immersed in a game...

This topic is 2709 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What would you suggest beyond a plot that places the player on the edge of their seat? I'm designing a very short UDK thing with my friend at the moment (First person horror) and I want to make sure the player's immersed as possible so I want everything you got that I could incorporate. We've got the basic stuff down (no HUD, no in game menus etc...) but I want to know what you think would be cool, what have you encountered in games before that have added to the immersion?

Any suggestions welcome.

Advertisement
I'm guessing you're going for something like Amnesia?
Things that got me hooked, terrified and changing my underpants every few minutes of that game were:

- The Sound effects. Be it his Breathing or the Music that played when a Monster appeared.
- Again, the Sound... Can't stress this enough!
- You never had full control of the Character. He could just go insane any moment.
- The Torch he had wasn't bright enough to light a corridor, just enough to see a bit better.
- No Weapons. Definatly the Best decision ever for a Horror Game.

To be honest, Amnesia is by far the best horror game out there, and definatly one to learn how to immerse a Gamer into a Horror Game.

I'm guessing you're going for something like Amnesia?
Things that got me hooked, terrified and changing my underpants every few minutes of that game were:

- The Sound effects. Be it his Breathing or the Music that played when a Monster appeared.
- Again, the Sound... Can't stress this enough!
- You never had full control of the Character. He could just go insane any moment.
- The Torch he had wasn't bright enough to light a corridor, just enough to see a bit better.
- No Weapons. Definatly the Best decision ever for a Horror Game.

To be honest, Amnesia is by far the best horror game out there, and definatly one to learn how to immerse a Gamer into a Horror Game.

I have been playing through Amnesia, we're definately paying close attention to our sound design (although a lot of that is later in development) and we're taking a far more realistic approach to the game to both make it more believable and also to set ourselves apart from Amnesia somewhat. We appreciate the tone of Amnesia but we're going for something a bit colder and the player will be in full control at all times.

We are putting a twist on the vunerability aspect by having the player control a child (in first person so everything dwarfs the player) and the character will be no use in a fight, you run, you hide, you sneak.

Thanks for the pointers.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!