• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DSTGames

Free Game Music for developers!

33 posts in this topic

Do you need music for your game? Are you using copyrighted music, or bad music, or no music at all?

Well, I am giving away 100's of tracks of game music to indie game devs for free! This music is all composed by me and all samples/instruments in them are licensed in full, so this music is completely royalty free.

You can find the collection at :

[url="http://www.nosoapradio.us"]http://www.nosoapradio.us[/url]

The tracks are sorted by Genre.

Thanks, and enjoy!

Edited by Gaiiden

Nice work, many of them sound a little nostalgic to me, reminding me of the old 16 bit console days. But your tracks are a lot crisper and fresher sounding. I may look to use some of these in some upcoming action arcade titles I am working on. Keep up the good work.

That's pretty generous - I'm sure lots of folks will find this useful :)

Thank you very much for sharing. I've only had time to listen to some of them, but they are really good. I might use some in my upcoming game.

Wow excellent work. I'm interested in the Medievil/Classical ones, so far they sound really good.

Wow, these are great (and exactly the kind of retro music I was looking for)! Nice work. Also kudos for stating up from that you're not using unlicensed samples.

Is there a specific license (or licenses) you are releasing these under?

I read through the FAQ and I believe I understand your intent, but this particular clause is a little unclear to me:

[quote]Songs may not be redistributed or sold[/quote]

I'm assuming this means that the songs may not be redistributed/re-released by themselves, but it could also mean that they cannot be redistributed as part of a game.

Thanks again for your hard work!

Wow, that's really cool; thank you.

I can't find a license on your website - how do you want to receive credit?
If I was to use one or more of your songs in my game, would the following in the games credits be sufficient?

[indent][left][font="Times New Roman"]The song '<songname>' was made by [size="2"][b]Deceased Superior Technician[/b][/size][/font][/left][left][font="Times New Roman"]For more songs like this, see: [i]www.nosoapradio.us[/i][/font][/left][left][font="'Times New Roman"][i]
[/i][/font][/left][/indent][font="'Times New Roman"][b][Edit:][/b] Failure on my part! I mistakenly slipped and hit 'vote down' instead of up, and apparently can't undo that.[/font]

Thanks for the feedback everyone, i'm glad you are finding this resource useful!

@Deraj: Songs may not be sold as songs, but can be used in a game or as a soundtrack to cinema. This is mostly to protect them from sample resellers trying to put them on a cd and sell that. Though i probably should put a clearer license up.

@Servant: Sure

I know it's a tough climb to get out in the world of gaming right now, and i just want to help the hard working people get a little farther.

DSTGames, your music is wonderful and I think your generosity could lead you to get hired as a music producer for games. My brother and I are making a game called Math Asteroids and your tunes have really helped spice up the game. Thanks so much.

If you're curious to see how we are using your tunes, try the game out (it's free): http://www.digitalruby.com/mathasteroids/install

Thanks again for this!

It sounds perfect with my game! And I'm the type of guys that gives credit so, this website gets to be in the credits!

[quote name='DSTGames' timestamp='1295382886' post='4760872']
Do you need music for your game? Are you using copyrighted music, or bad music, or no music at all?

Well, I am giving away 100's of tracks of game music to indie game devs for free! This music is all composed by me and all samples/instruments in them are licensed in full, so this music is completely royalty free.

You can find the collection at :

[url="http://www.nosoapradio.us"]http://www.nosoapradio.us[/url]

The tracks are sorted by Genre.

Thanks, and enjoy!

[img]http://www.nosoapradio.us/images/nosoaplogo.png[/img]
[/quote]
I am working on a shooter, and I thought maybe I could mess around with your music in audacity (hope you don't mind) and it sounded amazing! So I'll give you credit even if it's [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][left][background=rgb(250, 251, 252)]royalty free![/background][/left][/size][/font][/color]

Great stuff, could you please make one zip file from the all music, im having trouble downloading them from the flash thingy. a basic directory listing would be great too.

From an Open Source dev I can only say a BIG thanks to you [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img] Edited by farcodev

Thanks for the replies everyone (it makes me feel good and it keeps the topic current)

It's been 1 1/2 years since i posted this, and the site content has grown to over 300 tracks, nearly 12 hours.

The site interface has been redone with a searchable index that allows you to narrow in on the type of music you need.

Enjoy! Edited by DSTGames

All the tracks are now available for download as a torrent file! It contains 312 tracks, total size 1023 mb. (you can get it on the site).

http://www.nosoapradio.us