Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Docskyhawk

Game engine

5 posts in this topic

I have researched game development for some time but keep dropping it for one reason or another. I have been approached about starting a new larger project and have gotten back into it. My main concern right now is what 3d/game engine to go with. I am also new to some of the programming languages. I have some experience with C but mostly deal with visual basic. However, I have been checking out Python and wanted to get input on it?.?.

Right now I am leaning toward the Blender engine but I wanted to see if anyone has had any luck with it. I have played with other free engines and I like most everything about them other then the way they compile. The other ones I dropped seem to just make a new folder and copy the engine run files to it. The main "save" files you create are just placed in a sub folder and the game is run from that. This would cause major problems for the type of game we are working on. From what I can tell, Blender doesn't do that. Correct me if I am wrong. I need to make sure that users can not edit the game files once it gets compiled.

I also need a good networking system. Blender seems to do okay with Python but I have not even tried it as a test. Has anyone messed with this? The setup is planed as a master login server and individual servers to control MMO style "zones". Again, security is a issue here.

Any help would be great!

not sure of what you expect.

but all i can suggest you for a game engine is

1.UDK
2. Unity

both are free to a certain limit. actually Unity is a high school kids engine.

just give a try. scripting is easier than most of the other engines.

[quote name='karsnen' timestamp='1295497925' post='4761671']
actually Unity is a high school kids engine. [/quote]
What do you mean by that exactly? (I just ask because it might be kind of a misleading statement.)

I will have more of a team to work with so it doesn't have to be the easiest engine. I am more interested in features, networking, and being able to make the files editable.