some catmull clark tesselation showcase [was: seeking quality ANIMATED models]

Started by
9 comments, last by Krypt0n 13 years, 2 months ago
Hi,

yes, I know, google it. but google just spills out tons of 'free model' sites (_not_ animated mostly) and if you look for something 3dsmax compatible, it rather shows me free trial downloads of 3dsmax or warez sites.

(I found some animated models in maya format, .ma and .mb, but I don't have maya, so those are kind of useless for me).

so, has anyone recommendations for a place on the net, where I could download some quality models.

I can make those animated crappy robot arms out of boxes myself :D, but I'm talking about human alike looking, skinned, animated models, with some thousand polys. (I wouldn't mind if they would have some texture layers, e.g. bumpmap, diffuse, specular etc :) )

I'm working on realtime animated voxel (see http://twitpic.com/3rm2sa ), and use some game models, but as you can see, those are either

1. quite low poly for nowadays standards

2. not documented enought to use, especially animation data

so, please, if you know a place, post a link (or send me a pm if you don't want to spam).

thanks guys

(if this is rather something for 'help wanted', feel free to move it, I'll adapt to the mandatory template)
Advertisement
Hi,

why dont you use models from a game or one of the mods? E.g. Doom 3, Quake 4, etc.
--
Take a look at turbosquid, there're some free models available. As far as I understood, you need some models for testing purpose only, right ? When you already got some low poly models, try to apply a subsurface modifier to pump up the number of polys.

Hi,

why dont you use models from a game or one of the mods? E.g. Doom 3, Quake 4, etc.

because...
'Krypt0n' said:

…as you can see, those are either

1. quite low poly for nowadays standards

2. not documented enought to use, especially animation data

the model in the screenshot is the Imp from the doom3 demo :)

Take a look at turbosquid, there're some free models available. As far as I understood, you need some models for testing purpose only, right ? When you already got some low poly models, try to apply a subsurface modifier to pump up the number of polys.

not just for testing, as I've done testing by simply using not animated high poly models(replicating 100 time the same keyframe), so I know that's working, but now I'm at a state where I'd like to have a show case, a real world example, like an animated human created in z-brush.

[edit]and thanks for to link, I'll check that out again, I think I've already seen this site, but no good models, but cant be wrong to evaluate it again :)

If it isn't for testing purposes I wouldn't take any model from anyone. It won't match your needs, & when being advanced in your project you won't be able to do a lot with it (make it public) because your model is from someone else (specially if grabbed from a game).

It happened to me when working with an artist. I didn't know the model was grabbed & when I found out, it was a nightmare to do it all over again with an own model (knowing nothing about modelling...) But learning how to do it by yourself is really worth it.

Some 3D programs bring nice pre modelled human bodies. Applying pre recorded animations by someone else is also more difficult than doing it by yourself...
In the end I found out it was easier to learn it & do it by yourself, heh. Al least that's my case, but you may differ.

So either way, good luck!

P.S.: Be careful, because some "free models from turbosquid" actually are "grabbed models from games" :o (I got the artist with "his" model from this web site particularly).
Cheers,

Synth
as Ashaman said, you can subdivide the model in modelling programs, but it may mean a performance loss later & a harder work when skinning / UV mapping. Maybe normal mapping can help you there (although the model you show there seems a bit crappy).
I followed your both suggestion and added some subdivision, after I figured out CrazyBump can generate displacementmaps from normalmaps, gonna apply them on top.

http://twitpic.com/3ud6cx

cheers and thx so far :)

I thought, maybe someone would like to see an update. (just tell me if I shall stop spaming :)

http://twitpic.com/3wozra

- added UV set tracking

- added per vertex lighting

- displacement mapping (thx to ID for shipping with displacement maps!)

- texture mapped rasterization (considering to switch to per vertex texture mapping and just color interpolation, reyes alike).

:)

You initially mentioed voxel rendering... are we seeing some kind of voxel rendering in those pictures? Or these are just samples of the models you are going to convert?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement