Text RPG Turn 18

Started by
10 comments, last by Gaiiden 13 years, 2 months ago
Current Turn

Still wary of Voryn's earlier outburst, you silently nod in agreement and watch as Voryn and Tarah dip chunks of their bread loaf into the pot. You rip a chunk off your own loaf and mimick their dipping action. When you bring the bread back out, you see the broth is now actually rather viscous, and long tendrils hang off the bread piece before finally snapping and falling back into the pot. You can see little bits of meat clinging to the bread as the broth cools and hardens even further, but not enough to loose its gooey texture or feeling. You still see steam rising and so carefully insert the piece into your mouth and chew, recognizing that even in your caution you've just singed your tongue but don't want to further upset your hosts by spitting out your food. Surprisingly, the taste of the broth and meat bits reminds you of a type of poultry found in your native land. Despite the discomfort of your burnt tongue, you hastily dip another bread piece as hunger explodes in your stomach. Although Voryn seems to take no notice of your ravenous appetite, you see a small smile form at the corner of Tarah's mouth as she watches you enjoy her meal. Before you even realize it, the last of the bread loaf is working its way down your gullet and you are staring at an empty plate before you. You're pretty sure everyone at the table can hear your stomach rumble for more, but you're also pretty sure that your welcome has already been overstayed.

Backstory

You are a traveler. Orphaned at a young age, you have survived on your own throughout your early years hopping from village to village and learning to live off the land. You began hearing stories from other travelers of a great civilization far off beyond the tall mountains. No one from there was willing or able to give you details - all they could remember was that it was grand and amazing. Curious, and with nothing to tie you to this land, you have set out to find this place. After crossing the mountains and a substantial desert on the other side, you have once again reached fertile land. You made camp beneath the trees for the first time in many weeks, but when you awoke again, you find yourself in a house with no memory of having traveled there.

Inventory

Empty

Codex

• someone named "Ashwyn" appears to be a powerful... person?
  • you are in some region of the land know as the "Hinterlands", east of a river known as the "Feora"
  • Tarah and Voryn are a married couple homesteading out in the Hinterlands
  • A Tha'nit is a reptilian creature that has a poison-tipped tail, can be very aggressive if provoked in certain situations but is generally scared off by loud noised. Not edible, unless you have Tarah around to cook one up for you so you don't get poisoned

Story Log

(This log only shows the last 10 turns. To look back further, just select a turn action to view that turn's log)

(#8)"Indeed? You must still be affected by whatever put you under for so long. Please, our house is yours while you recover," says Tarah. Still smiling, she turns to head back out of the room. "I was just about to put supper on the table," she calls back as she disappears, "you are welcome to join us." Voryn lingers a moment longer, his gaze still upon you. You can see suspicion in his eyes and your mind claws for a name to give him, but what should be easily recalled seems lost forever. Finally Voryn grunts and turns to exit the room.
> Inspect strange fungus

(#9)You walk back over to the bed, carefully pulling the fungus you scraped off the wall earlier out of your pocket. Tarah comes back in carrying a small lamp, which she places on the low table to light the room. As she turns to leave her eye catches the fungus you are turning over in your hand. "Oh! I see you've found some darkmold." She holds out her hand and you gently place the brown, crumbly plant into it. "It grows best in dark, dry places. We hardly use this room, not many guests come by." Her expression turns thoughtful. "You know, this can be brewed into a fairly potent healing poultice - I'm not well-practiced in herbal arts but I'm sure I could make it mildly effective...?"
> "Sure, thank you."

(#10)Tarah nods and closes her hand around the darkmold. "Well, I don't guarantee a magic healing potion but at the very least you shall have something to deal with any minor scrapes or wounds on your travels." She exits the room, and you soon hear dishware clattering about as the table is set. The smell of cooked meat wafts in through the open doorway and you realize for the first time since waking up how hungry you really are. Mixed in with the smell of food however is a hint of cool, crisp outside air. You hear a heavy door slam shut.
> Leave the room

(#11)You exit the room and find yourself in a large common area. A circular heath lies in the middle with a hood that runs up through the roof to pull the smoke rising off the blazing cooking fire that lights the room. The meaty aroma comes from the pot hanging over the fire, which Tarah is slowly stirring as she hums to herself. Against the wall with the door leading outside is a table with two chairs and a small stool. Shelves of cooking supplies and herbs line the wall next to your bedroom door. Across the room you see a door ajar leading to what appears to be another bedroom. The fourth wall has two small windows looking out into the darkening evening. Propped up in a corner is an aged powder rifle with a well-worn barrel but a finely-crafted and newer-looking wooden stock.
> Talk to Tarah

(#12)You walk towards Tarah, who pauses in both her stirring and her humming to take a small sip from the ladle. "Hmmm," she says, testing the broth. "Just about done," she decides, as she returns to stirring. She looks up and smiles as you approach. "Out and about are we? Well there's a good sign I suppose. I can only imagine how famished you must be after several days sleep."
> "Why yes, I'm quite hungry. What's for dinner?"

(#13)"Well you're in luck!" says Tarah as her smiles brightens. "This is my own recipe for Tha'nit stew." She chuckles. "Now I know how that sounds, but trust me I've been making it for years and there's nothing to worry about! It's Voryn's favorite dish and after the news recently well... I felt it would help cheer him up. Plus it's always been well-received by what few guests we've had." She takes another taste test. "Ah yes, just about ready..."
> "Worry? What's a Tha'nit?"

(#14)The ladle doesn't go back to stirring the pot as Tarah stares at you in confusion. "What's a Tha'nit? Why, everyone knows what a..." she breaks off as realization dawns and plops the ladle back in the pot as she chuckles to herself. "My my, but you must have traveled a long ways indeed." She grabs the pot's wooden handle and lifts, sinewy muscles appearing along her arms. She carries the pot over and sets it on the table, then continues to prepare the place settings. "It's a reptile, about an arms-length long, brown, with a poisonous barb-tipped tail. It's the poison I was joking about. I figured out how to cook it out so you could eat the Tha'nit. They're tough to catch, they'll chase you for hours if they're provoked, but thankfully they're mostly just scared off by any loud noises." She pats the stool at the table. "Voryn should be back any moment now. Ready to eat?"
> Sit at the table

(#15)You walk over and sit on the stool as the big front door swings open and Voryn walks in carrying a large bundle of wood, which he sets down near the hearth and uses to stoke the dimming fire. Tarah moves over to the corner near your room and lifts up a trap door. She descends down into a cellar and returns shortly with three bread loafs stacked in her arms. After placing one on each plate Tarah and Voryn take their seats, closing their eyes. Propping both elbows on the table a shoulders-width apart they straighten their hands as if they were going to chop the air. Slowly, they raise their forearms, touching the two middle fingers of their hands together as they reach their slightly bowed temples, palms facing inwards. One of Voryn's eyes cracks open to see what you are doing.
> Do nothing

(#16)Voryn's left hand balls up into a fist and slams down on the table with enough force to cause the placings to leap a good inch above the thick wooden surface and send small waves splashing around inside the large pot. Both eyes are now open and glaring at you, but before he can speak Tarah's hand blurs across the table faster than you can imagine to lay on his wrist. You are still recoiling slightly at the rage you see in Voryn's eyes as Tarah's plea reaches your ears. "Voryn, wait!" She says as she attempts to tear Voryn's rapt attention away from you. "He is not a traveler among this land, but beyond it! He does not know our customs." A few seconds of silence pass, but to you time seems frozen as you stare back into the depths of Voryn's eyes and realize his pupils are slightly larger than normal, and there seem to be flecks of yellow in his brown iris. As you wait wondering if his right hand is going to strike out, finally the eyes shift, and Voryn stares down at his plate of bread. You can see the muscles in his arms relax and Tarah sighs with relief while patting his hand. "My apologies, traveler," he says softly, still staring down. "I must admit my temper these days is even shorter than usual." He looks up to make eye contact with Tarah and her mouth turns grim as she nods in agreement.
> [Angrily] "What the hell was that all about?!"

(#17)The words barely escape your mouth before you realize that it probably wasn't one of the smarter things you've said in your relatively short lifespan, which you now hope isn't about to come to a swift end at the hands of Voryn. But if anything, the anger in your voice only seems to make the big man collapse further into himself and the sharp rebuttal instead comes from the opposite end of the table. "You watch your tongue traveler!" says Tarah harshly as she continues to stroke Voryn's hand with hers. The other one is waving its index finger under your nose. "Voryn may have overreacted but he had every right to be offended towards a blasphemer in his house. You may be from beyond this land but if you plan to travel in it I suggest you pay more attention to what is going on around you." With that, she resumes her previous posture and Voryn shortly follows suit. Still confused as to whether you should do anything or not, you sit and watch as they both begin to chant: "High is the One who judges us, Low are the Ones who protect us, Near are Ones we love most, Far are the Ones we know least, Thanks we give for all we have, Death we receive for all we keep." With that, they both reach for their food and Tarah gives you a slight nod. Voryn speaks again as he is tearing a chunk of bread off his loaf, "I think, traveler, that you should depart in the morning."
> Nod silently and finish dinner

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Advertisement
I'm very curious as to the fact that there were 287 views logged for my last turn, and yet only 17 people voted. I guess most of them were unregistered guests who couldn't vote. Argh. I've looked high and low both within the IPS control panel and online for mods to allow guest voting and haven't found anything for this version of the forum software. I think it's pretty stupid not to have this as a setting somewhere. Seems like a simple permissions setting to me :angry:

Well at least there are some cool features that almost make up for it. For example, I can make multiple poll questions. So once we have weapons and items, I can ask during a battle what you would like to equip yourself with as well as what action you would like to take. Also, I have scheduled this thread to close at 12pm (EST? GMT? I'm not really sure) on Monday. I'm doing this because today I found myself peeking at the results and waiting a bit longer to see if anyone would vote more the way I was hoping it would go. That's not really fair.

Of course as cool as the scheduled closure is, it's also pretty stupid that I have to close the entire thread rather than just being able to close a poll and keep the thread open for replies. I did find a mod to allow poll closure only but it was from 2009 and Mike seems a bit wary of installing it.

There see, I can complain about this new site too! ;)

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Well, perhaps shame on me, but I've noticed this game the very first time when turn #17 came out. Maybe it isn't promoted enough? Although I second that 5% feedback is a bit rare...

However, interesting work; thanks. Now I have to polish my english to follow the story flawlessly ... :)
When I saw the RPG the first time I just didn't want to read the text, English isn't my first language which doesn't makes it easier for me.
Now that I pushed myself to do so, I must say: I'm very interested in what happens next now! ;)
The low poll turnout is a surprise! This is a great idea though Gaiiden :)
I always voted on the polls before the site upgrade and wondered if
the story stopped when the polls went back to normal. I only noticed it when
it appeared on the recent threads on the site homepage (I missed #16 & #17 :().
Maybe a little more advertisement is needed :) Or maybe I need to be more observant?

And, shame on you for waiting to see if results would go your favoured way,
although I have to admit to voting from several machines (work, home and laptop)
for my favoured result :P

Anyway, I'm really glad this is carrying on :D
Thanks guys, these responses mean a lot.

I've mentioned the poll on the GDnet twitter and facebook often, but you do have to be plugged in to see them I suppose.

This will be pinned once I feel the current pinned topics have outlived their usefulness, which is soon. Prob next week I'll unpin all but the feedback thread and pin the next turn up.

Glad this is helping some work on their English! :)

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

I am a tad wary of the ability to delete my existing vote and then vote again. It seems to open the door to a fair amount of manipulation, at least as long as the overall votes are few. For instance, at the moment I could singlehandedly switch option 3 into lead place, instead of option 1.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Man, my head hurts!

Codeloader - Free games, stories, and articles!
If you stare at a computer for 5 minutes you might be a nerdneck!
https://www.codeloader.dev

I am a tad wary of the ability to delete my existing vote and then vote again. It seems to open the door to a fair amount of manipulation, at least as long as the overall votes are few. For instance, at the moment I could singlehandedly switch option 3 into lead place, instead of option 1.

That's a very good point. I don't foresee any exploitation for this but I'll keep my eye on it. The option to take back a vote is global to all polls - so I don't want to make that call just yet. Thx for pointing it out tho.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Maybe the problem of the low response is that the poll doesn't come up on the frontpage anymore like it used to be in the old version. I, for instance, just read the gamedev.net frontpage to keep myself updated on what's going on in the gamedev world. But I rarely dive into the rest of the website, ie the forums. If I want to play the RPG Poll now, I would have to check the lounge forum regularly to see if the new turn is available or not. I don't mind that too much, but I can see how many others just aren't aware of the existence of this poll.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement