Is the Game Institute good for beginners?

Started by
35 comments, last by YaelY7 13 years, 2 months ago
As others have said, give python (with the pygame module) a serious look. You can write virtually every sort of game you could think of in this language. Compared with the pure speed of C++, however, Python is slower. Don't let that dissuade you! I love Python and believe you can develop games of the same quality as Playstation 2 game with out issue (maybe even better).

That said, if you're serious about getting into the game industry, do not overlook C++ because of it's complexity. If you want to write games for the PS3, XBox 360, or Wii... you're mostly looking at C++ as the language of choice. C++ is a tricky language to learn well, but very much worth the effort.

Regardless of your language choice, however... JUST WRITE YOUR GAMES! Doesn't matter if they're in Python, or C++, or C#, or javascript... just write your games. I've always viewed the game industry like the graphic designer industry. Even if you know every language in the world, if you don't have any games to show you'll be passed over for that fellow in the corner that has written over 100 games all in the only language they know... assembly.

If you want a starting point, I'd say... write PONG! Silly? About as silly as "Hello World", but "Hello World" is always a great place to start programing and so is Pong for game programing. After Pong, try Asteroids. From there you should have a fair knowledge of your language and two games under your belt. Sky's the limit from there!!!
Advertisement
Do you know any good resources to learn how to program in Python, an e-book or PDF file?

Do you know any good resources to learn how to program in Python, an e-book or PDF file?

Here's one I came across in the past. I didn't read all the way through it, but it does seem to give the basics at least and it's free...
http://inventwithpython.com/
There are many and you're only one google search away. If in doubt start at the python homepage. I personally like a "byte of python", funny enough there's also a "thinking in python" book as well.
What about this. It is from MIT's OpenCourseWare, and it includes real MIT class lectures, assignments, and exams. It is a beginner course in computer programming and they use Python as he language.
This thread has been very helpful, I'm interested in learning these languages as well. I looked through a few of the MIT videos and the guy lecturing is really good and holds my attention. I can't believe this is free! Thanks

You do realize that the videos are being filmed in front of a class of students -- all of which have books.
Watching videos to learn is a horrible way to learn IMO. If you have a question, what are you going to do? Go back to video blah blah and scroll around until they say the answer?

You do realize that the videos are being filmed in front of a class of students -- all of which have books.
Watching videos to learn is a horrible way to learn IMO. If you have a question, what are you going to do? Go back to video blah blah and scroll around until they say the answer?

All of which do not have books because the course does not use a textbook.

'isometrixk' said:

You do realize that the videos are being filmed in front of a class of students – all of which have books.

All of which do not have books because the course does not use a textbook.

They are using multiple textbooks:

How to Think Like a Computer Scientist
Computational Modeling and Complexity Science
Dive Into Python
Python Programming
Code Like A Pythonista: Idiomatic Python

So 5 books in total. (Allthough for some of those books only a single chapter is used)

Complete course materials are available here:
http://ocw.mit.edu/c...urse-materials/
(The books themselves are available electronically online for free and the course material links to the appropriate chapters for each lecture)

You can also join studygroups for that course on openstudy.com (link is in the course materials, i havn't actually joined a group so i don't know what kind of activity there is)

Overall i'd say its a pretty damn awesome resource for getting started with python, but you really need to download the course material and do the recommended reading, the assignments and find someone who can give you feedback on your assignments and answer your questions.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Overall i'd say its a pretty damn awesome resource for getting started with python

Yes it is, a lot of work went behind this for something absolutely free, good find!

As for simple questions, we have the appropriate forums for you to post and often you'll find quick responses.

As for sharing your programs, share them here! By the time your done with lecture 3, you should be able to create your own text rpg (if you're in to that) and you can share your accomplishments at Community Interaction > Your Announcements.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement