Will we always need service providers?

Started by
19 comments, last by chroud 13 years, 2 months ago
@frob - thanks for looking into it, I appreciate it. The website may appear to be selling some kind of idea, but I'm not claiming ownership or originality and am certainly not selling anything or presenting information on the order of getting investors.

The website is primarily made to attract open-source developers to get together and examine alternative networking models. "ChroudNet" is basically an example design to begin the community, and get people asking questions and looking for answers. The claims made are very general, but they are intended to be goals of the project - of course without a working model, none of them are verified and are merely theoretical, and this is pointed out on the website.

I'll be documenting my prototyping results on the website, and just hope that others will get interested in the idea that there could be, or will be, better ways of networking.

[color="#CCCCCC"]
You say a consolidated network for data and voice. How is this different than the real world today?[/quote]

Consolidated as in, there aren't multiple companies acting as providers that all run on different networks. There are no service providers, so all users are strapped into the same network and devices are universal.

[color="#CCCCCC"]You comment about all devices receiving all data streams[/quote]

What I mean, is that data is preprocessed - because all processing is done server-side (cloud computing) devices can run high-end games, high-end software, and anything else a server can do while still having the same hardware - whether that's a cell phone or a desktop. This is just generally one of the perks of cloud computing.

[color="#CCCCCC"]
You talk about no regulation. How will you find anything?[/quote]

Unique and verified identification is a problem to be solved by software standards, not necessarily regulation. By no regulation, I mean no service provider deciding to threaten the neutrality of the network's content or monitor your usage. No government deciding they can pull the plug on the network, or monitor your usage.

[color="#CCCCCC"] You say "Fast", but WiMAX isn't that great in the Grand Scheme of Things.[/quote]

That is left to be determined. I have a hard time finding hard numbers on distributed relay over WiMAX and I am confident that you would have just as hard a time. That's still a question to be answered, and this project will hopefully answer it.

[color="#CCCCCC"]You say optimized for cloud, but how?[/quote]

By cloud services, I mean streaming on-demand applications. This means deploying large amounts of data from servers as fast as possible. The presented model allows this data to be deployed from any number of local transceivers so that the information can immediately leave a server distributed.

Who is paying for cloud computing devices? The servers that run the applications. Of course commercial applications won't be free, but the point of ChroudNet is for free access to the network - not free commercial content.

[color="#CCCCCC"] You mention self healing in terms of rerouting for damage. Exactly what are you proposing that isn't available with the current infrastructure?[/quote]

No "down-time". If a node is recognized failing to relay packets, its responsibilities can be delegated. With a cable service provider, if the service is down in your area, you're out of luck. In a mesh network, all local nodes would have to be compromised for the service to screech to a halt.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement