Starting out...

Started by
2 comments, last by Kaezin 22 years, 7 months ago
Okay to start out I am using Directx (DirectDraw to be specific), and have read a lot of tutorials, books, etc and feel fairly confident to start my game. So I''m gonna add in little tidbits one at a time... First off, how do I keep the cursor in full screen mode? Every tutorial so far has gotten rid of the cursor, but I want it for use of menus and stuff like that. I''m planning on starting out with a little base-building program and start from there, leading to something like X-Com... Anyone have any suggestions on how to start?
Half the people you know are below average.Trogdor the Burninator
Advertisement
no
howdy kaezin, ignore the asshole poster above.

A word about cursors. Firstly, to keep them on, make sure during your windows init you have ShowCursor(true) set properly. However, ideally, you want to replace the windows cursor with your own graphic. To do this, you want to turn off the cursor, and draw your graphic in place of it by getting the current mouse coordinates from windows and then blitting your custom mouse graphic to the screen at those coordinates you get from Windows. Simple as that. Also, a good idea you''ll probably want to implement later on, is running your mouse routine independently in its own thread so that it wont jump around with your framerates. Ok, hope all that helps.
Okay thanks, good to know at least SOME people are nice =D Can''t believe some people are that rude... Anyway, what do you mean by this:
quote:Original post by Famine
Also, a good idea you''ll probably want to implement later on, is running your mouse routine independently in its own thread so that it wont jump around with your framerates.

? I''ll probably do what you said, but I need some clarification with that quote Hmm... I thought there was a way to do the whole cursor thing without having to redraw everytime? I remember reading in Tricks of the Game Programming Gurus that there was a way to implement my own cursor just by sending it the picture ID, but whatever. Thanks again.
Half the people you know are below average.Trogdor the Burninator

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement