Just beginning. need help.

Started by
12 comments, last by Roger the Shrubber 22 years, 7 months ago
"C Programming in 12 Easy Lessons" by Greg Perry is also a very helpful book.
Advertisement
I find resources on Direct X much easier to find than OGL. This is one reason I reccomend DX to new comers. You should just take a basic tutorial on both, and see what you like.

"I''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''Urden
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
I cant agree with Drizzt. There is some of basic stuff out there, but that resource is depleted quickly after you start, and finding a BOOK on Direct3D8 is almost impossible presently (almost meaning that the few that are out need some help). For some decent tuts to start (just to see), go to nehe.gamedev.net.

But I do agree with the others. When I first started, I jumped right into Windows programming and found myself overwhelmed. I got Ivor Horton''s book Beginning Visual C++ 6 and read the first half of it and stopped before he went into the MFC.

Yeah it was 4 to 6 months of console programs, but it did the trick. All in all, it''s a great beginner''s book. Also recommended is Accelerated C++. Good and not so thick of a beginner''s book. I would spend the first few months at least getting the basics of C++ down. It is essential to have that foundation before you dive into windows and 2D/3D programming. The math alone will get you if you actually try to understand it and not just use it. Good luck.

Paladin
*Its me (Roger the Shrubber). I just decided to re-register and change my username.*

Thanks guys,

I''ve looked around for books online and I think im probably going to get "Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days" to start off with.

You can bet I''ll be back here soon, though, asking more questions.

later

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement