An epic game idea... A daunting task... Who would be up for it?

Started by
14 comments, last by Cranium-Ticker 22 years, 7 months ago
Interesting idea, but I think you have some of your terminology mixed up...

Galaxy: A galaxy contains tens of billions of stars. A system with only two stars does not qualify as a galaxy. I think solar system or star system would be a better term.

Quasar: A quasar is not a star... it is in fact a very large object thought to be a young galaxy in formation. Perhaps you meant a white dwarf star?

Edited by - Sandman on September 5, 2001 8:31:07 AM
Advertisement
Lol, I guess I''ll have to go back to school and brush up on my astronomy before attempting to embarrass myself in front of thousands of gamers
A good idea would be to put 4 people per planet. One or two graphic artists/modelers, and one or two programmers, and then someone who knows about the planet. Of course, if your paying these people you will need an extra couple hundred thousands dollars. This way, noone is over worked. Also, you should make different races availible to the players. Humans are obviosly what you planned to be dominant, but you should have a long debate with a few others about this. Maybe earth shouldnt even exist anymore, make sure you have design docs before you start, or it will go down the drain.

"I''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''Urden
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
Heh, yeah I almost forgot about that 200,000 bucks I had stored in my glove box for emergency epic game making... I''ll have to go and pull that out now that it''s fresh in my memory
starfight II rocked on the mac
WARNING: HOMAGE TO ONE OF MY FAVORITE MULTIPLAYER GAMES EVER FOLLOWS

I like the idea. This thread reminds me of a an idea I''ve had for a while now. Anybody remember TradeWars (in the old 2400bps BBS days)? I''d like to see a MMORPG-type thing using TradeWars as the basic framework, with lots of other things thrown in. You''d buy ships, customize them with better weapons, etc. (for a price, of course). You''d have to find the perfect balance for your ship--cargo capacity for trading(making $$$) vs. the ability to whoop ass and move fast. Like in the old game, you and other players could form corporations, buy genesis torpedos to create your own planets, etc. The planets could generate resources, which you could sell, assuming you''ve defended them well enough to prevent others from taking the resources or just stealing the planet. You could also build fighter factories on the planets for defense. The old BBS game also kept an alignment-type rating... you could get positive or negative points, depending basically on who you killed-- there was even a wanted list with rewards for killing certain people. There were computer-generated bad guys (they actually called them Ferengi), and good guys, and starports etc. And, of course, it kept an experience-type rating.

That was all just from the old game. In a new version, there are many things that could be added. First of all, instead of only 3 items available to trade there could be A LOT. Fighting COULD be real-time. Mines and other defensive devices/ships could be more precisely customized (NOT to attack specific other friends or teams). Instead of having specific sector numbers you are allowed to warp to from each sector, you would have a true 3d space in which you could move (and the occasional worm-hole shortcut)... and your on-board computer could save locations of specific planets and trading posts to avoid the confusion of finding things in a large 3d space.

I know the whole space-trader concept has been done (esp. in 2d), but I think the TradeWars idea is absolutely perfect for one of today''s MMORPGs. Unlike in the old days, you and teammates could actually coordinate an attack on an enemy planet in real time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement