Doing AI

Started by
4 comments, last by Kneelz 22 years, 7 months ago
Hmm, I want to make an AI for my game but I''m afraid it will be as stupid as I am (I want a "badass AI"). What should I do?
Advertisement
Ey, how do ya want to make a AI if u a r even more stupid than a C&C ai?
Ey guyz, aldä.
There are certainly those with far more expertise in designing AI for games than I and I leave it to them to give the definitive answer for the question you have asked.

I will say though that you really want to sit down and analyse the task(s) that you want your AI to handle.

Use your design spec for the game to work out what aspects of game agent control will be handled by your AI.

Look at the set of these requirements and break them down into distinct, independent sets of behaviours/tasks. For each task, investigate which AI tool(s) is/are most appropriate and within your grasp.

If you don''t already know how to implement the AI tools, then take a side step and implement an isolated ''practice problem'' for each different tool. Play with this problem until you are sure you can implement the same tool for you game and have it do what you want.

When you''ve decided on the appropriate tools and you know how to implement them, the hard work is done. The rest is code development/debugging/testing.

One hint though: a really GOOD AI (from a designers point of view) is one that is ''extensible''. I''ll leave it to you to discover what that means.

Cheers,

Timkin
quote:Original post by MC Penistroll
Ey, how do ya want to make a AI if u a r even more stupid than a C&C ai?

Remarks like that are a little uncalled for, aren''t they MC? Please....let''s have constructive comments and feedback--everybody is a newbie at one time or another.

Ferretman

ferretman@gameai.com
www.gameai.com

From the High Mountains of Colorado

Ferretman
ferretman@gameai.com
From the High Mountains of Colorado
GameAI.Com

Why are you trying to reason with a "Penis troll?" Check his posting history and then ban him (please).
"It tastes like burning..."
hehe, that''s a really good question Is it even possible to make an AI that is smarter than it''s creator? It depends what you mean by smarter, I guess. I mean, I''m sure Deep Blue could beat any of it''s creators at a game of chess, but does that mean it''s smarter than they are?

Good luck, anyway. Personally, I''ve always found writing AI code to be more enjoyable than writing graphics code, but maybe I''m just a freak

codeka.com - Just click it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement