New C++ RPG game

Started by
7 comments, last by surgemcgee 13 years, 2 months ago
Hello folks!

I want to create a 2d RPG game, roleplay enforced, and I want to ask a few questions first. For the record, I am an experienced programmer, however I have no experience in 2d games. I mainly want to make sure the language and tools I use are alright.

What I thought of yet is, I could use SMFL with C++, I heard it's a good graphic library and that it is faster than SDL. Also, I could use Tiled (http://www.mapeditor.org/) as a map editor for my game. The game would basically be similar to Ultima Online, but in 2d. I want the environnment to be modifiable by the game client, not only with Tiled.

Is this alright..? Does anyone know much about how using Tiled with C++? Anyone can share example code of something similar or would be interested in the project?

I'd greatly appreciate any help!
Advertisement
If you are going to use SFML I suggest using 2.0 beta as it has better performance than the later. Other than that I have a lot of experience with SFML and honestly love it for 2D development and think hands down it is the better of the libraries I have tried. I haven't tried using 3rd party tilemap libraries and editors for use in SFML but I have heard good things about them. I imagine if you use a 3rd party tilemap library they already take into account for allowing the drawing of tiles on the screen. If you plan on doing your own rendering of the tilemaps, check out the viewport in SFML it is handy for being able to move around a tilemap. Also make sure you are only drawing the tiles that are in the viewport area to save performance.
Ehhh I actually have no idea if Tiled will work with SFML, but you say it is easy to use maps of this kind directly in SFML?
The language you use does not really matter. What you should use is something you already have experience with. If it's C++, then it's fine, but if you picked it because it's better for games or a similar reason, you should reconsider it. There are 2D libraries available for any language these days, so pick whatever language you are the most comfortable with and you should be fine.
Developer for Novus Dawn : a [s]Flash[/s] Unity Isometric Tactical RPG - Forums - Facebook - DevLog
The language dosen't matter to me so I'll pick the most performant. The main thing is...I don't really know where to start.
Language and performance are unrelated. If you're ready to live with the memory management gun pointed at your foot, you may want to start reading SFML's tutorials and get a sprite rendered on the screen. That and the main game loop are about the only different things in a 2D game and a normal application from a programming point of view.
Developer for Novus Dawn : a [s]Flash[/s] Unity Isometric Tactical RPG - Forums - Facebook - DevLog
Ok, I have a few drinks, so please don't be presumptuous -- > "[color=#1C2837][size=2]Language and performance are unrelated."
I was not trying to be presumptuous or starting a flame war, just pointing out the fact that a particular language will not dictate the program's performance, especially for beginners. Going with C++ because some benchmarks said it was faster than C# or Java is a serious case of preemptive optimization. Yes, properly tweaked C++ code will run faster, but this hardly matters for someone who has no idea how to structure a game. The performance benefits will be had after a lot of work and may not even be worth it. If your bottleneck is the video card or you already run faster than VSync, then your code running a bit faster will do nothing for you. On the other hand, if you can implement more features because you use a language that allows quicker development, now that's a real benefit.

As a beginner, chances are the main issue is not performance, but getting something working, hence the "Language and performance are unrelated".
Hmmm, I think that guy is a fool --> "[color=#1C2837][size=2]Ok, I have a few drinks, so please don't be presumptuous"
[color=#1C2837][size=2]Ya, don't want to be combative, I apologize . And in the context of hastily spoken words, I couldn't
[color="#1C2837"]help but laugh at this one. --> "[color=#1C2837][size=2]how fun would a game be if you were able to kill every boss on a level just by spawning ur friken marvelous self"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement