Visual c++ Directx problem

Started by
3 comments, last by Dawoodoz 13 years, 2 months ago
Hello.
I'm currently learning Direct3d 9 and have a project in visual c++ 2010 express edition.
The program first shows a config dialogue and then jump into fullscreen mode and display some polygons.
Then I started a new project with the same settings and copied the source and header files to the new project. Basically I want to have several versions where I can experiment with different stuff. The problem is that the second version crashes when the program goes into fullscreen mode and starts rendering. And I don't know why. It compiles and when it runs, the config dialogue opens just like normal, but In fullscreen mode the screen just goes black, and there is no way to end the program, all I can do is to restart the computer. The old project still works perfectly but the new one allways crashes. The files and settings are the same.
Anyone have a clue?

edit: Apparently, the second project works in windowed mode but not in fullscreen.
Advertisement
You will have to provide more information, there is a whole range of reasons why that might happen... Where does it crash? What error? Did any DirectX or Win32 methods return error codes? What do the directx debug runtimes say?
Looks like you hit the debugger. Unfortunately fullscreen debugging is a pain in the rear. When the screen is black try pressing return. There is probably a crash message from Visual Studio (the one with Retry/Debug/Abort). You should then be shown where in the source the crash happened.

If that doesn't bring you back after pressing return try also Shift-F5 to stop debugging.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

I didn't use the debugger. I chose "start without debugging". And when I use the debugger it's the same result. Pressing enter, Shift-F5 or escape
doesn't help. All I can do is restart the computer.
When I choose debug, the dialogue window shows up like i t should and I get these messages:

[font="Consolas"][size="1"][font="Consolas"][size="1"]'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Users\Lars\Desktop\Gengine\Debug\Gengine.exe', Symbols loaded.
'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\d3d9.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcrt.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sechost.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rpcrt4.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sspicli.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cryptbase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\user32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\gdi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\lpk.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\usp10.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\advapi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\version.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\d3d8thk.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dwmapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\D3DX10d_43.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ole32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\D3dx9d_43.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_5.82.7600.16661_none_ebfb56996c72aefc\comctl32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcp100d.dll', Symbols loaded.
'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr100d.dll', Symbols loaded.
'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\imm32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msctf.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\guard32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\fltLib.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\uxtheme.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Gengine.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\oleaut32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

However, I get the same messages when debugging the old project so they can't be the problem.
And when I go into fullscreen mode in the new project the screen goes black, and I can only restart the computer to get out, so there is no way for me to see any debug messages.
Since the two projects are identical in settings, files and code my only guess is that the problem lies in how visual c++ organizes the projects. I'm new to visual c++ and have a bit of experience with c++. Could it be that two projects with identical functions/functionnames are somehow interfering with each other?

[/font][/font]
I don't use "real" fullscreen because this is much faster, 100% stable and can handle applications in the background without conflicts.
http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500867

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement