• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PredeX

OpenGL OPenGL or DirectX??

This topic is 6253 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''d like to know which of the 2 API is either better, easier to learn, better documented....and your personal opinion about them. I know that OpenGL can be used with any language, and DirectX is neither portable like OpenGL is nor can you use any language. But OpenGL only has the 3D graphics and stuff like DirectSound is missing. Is it right that you can implement DirectSound into OpenGL?? and is it still portable as without i.e DirectSound?? And again: which of the 2 API is either better, easier to learn, better documented...?

Advertisement
Oh, people just love this question...

my personal opinion: Starting with DX8, both are fairly well documented and relatively similar, although DX still requires a slightly better understanding of programming in general. Once you learn one, moving back and forth is pretty easy.

A suggestion, spend a little time in a library/bookstore and look at the OpenGL red book and the DX books. Look at as many DX books as you can - some are terrible. Anyway, look through it and see which one makes you say "I can do this"... Again, if you become proficient in one, switching is easy.

Another suggestion - even if you go with DX, pick up the OpenGL red book. The red book is extremely good at explaining the concepts and the DX SDK or book can help map that into DX.

Also, if this thread devolves into a religious argument, ignore it. The key is to become educated enough to make good decisions that suit your own needs.

Finally, yes, you can do graphics with OpenGL and anything else with anything else...

I''ll just give my opinion as well, even though it''s much like CrazedGenius'' opinion.

Are you going to port your game to another OS? If yes, use OpenGL. Otherwise: Take a look at DirectX code (books, websites, et cetera), now take a look at OpenGL code (same sources). Do you like OpenGL better? If yes, good, then use it. Do you like DirectX better? If yes, good then use it.

Also, you can use OpenGL (Open Graphics Library) with any non-graphics part of DirectX. OpenGL isn''t meant to do anything except graphics. Things like OpenAL and HawkNL are though.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

want to say one thing:

Try and find a good book on DirectX 8.0. YOU WONT! I am a DirectX junkie right now sifting through the bowels of the SDK for .x files information. I cant get an answer to my post. Do yourself a favor. Learn OpenGL. The resources are available on the web for it. There are some that teach basics, but once you hit an intermediate status, you will be stranded like me until some books come out.

Nothing better about either language. Just pick one. If you are using DirectX, plan on having alot of questions and little resource for answers.

Paladin

Edited by - sirPaladin on September 4, 2001 4:36:55 PM

Guess I will throw my two cents in.

As far as I am concerned, it is a matter of personal preference, as it is when choosing any API. There is really little difference between OpenGL and DirectX. If you like the Microsoft World of COM, try DirectX. If you plan on moving your game to non-Microsoft Operating Systems, OpenGL may be a better call. Not to sound like a broken record, but read as much as you can on each. See which one you appeals to you and go with that. The more you learn the better.

-----------------------------
kevin@mayday-anime.com
http://games.mayday-anime.com

One thing that Null and Void mentioned that I''d like to re-emphasize (because you asked about it explicitly) is that OpenGL can be mixed with any part of DirectX except Direct3D or DirectDraw (or "DirectX Graphics" as they are now known). However, the other DirectX APIs will only run under Windows. So although OpenGL code is portable, DirectX code is not. Adding DirectSound to an OpenGL game will work, and it''s actually how most OpenGL games do their sound. But it will limit you to Windows. But, to be honest, I dont think portability is a major concern (unless it''s portability to Windows!), simply because, as a hobbyist, you''re coding for yourself and secondarily for whoever might happen to be interested, and, as a professional developer, you''re coding for the money. And the money is in the wallets of Windows users! (Well, for consumer-level stuff, anyway). But if you are concerned about portability, you could use one of the portable libraries like OpenIL.

PERFECT SOLUTION
Do first 3 tuts at http://nehe.gamedev.net do the first 3 tuts at http://nexe.gamedev.net choose what you like the best.

Eric Wright o0Programmer0o
AcidRain Productions
http://www.acidrainproductions.com

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!