Beginning Direct3D Game Programming book??

Started by
10 comments, last by UT_jerryspringer 22 years, 7 months ago
Just bought the book i mentioned in the header, anyone ever read it, and could you tell me if it is anygood? It mentions in there that DirectX won the API wars, what are your thoughts on this? Oh and it seems that all these books are using c and not c++, i am also finishing my c++ book and it makes me think i should have just learned c, any thoughts on this? Thanks for taking the time to read a lengthy question, and if there are any unreal Tournament players out there look for {SMUT}JerrySpringer in deck16 team deathmatch.....heh heh! have a good day :-)
Advertisement
C++ is C with more features.

I refuse to believe Direct X won the war.

Microsoft sucks.

"I''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''Urden
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
lol micro$oft is ok, unethical maybe but to each his own i guess.
but does anyone know about the book, is it any good, should i even waste my time? But another source told me that the Gforce3 cards are made with DirectX in mind, but hey i am not saying one way or the other i would like to learn them both.
I bought the book and was extremely disappointed in it. It was awhile ago so I might not be remembering it right but it seems to me the most complicated object we ever made was a cube and it spent most of its time just talking about file formats for objects, like the one quake uses. In the end I''m pretty sure I came away with less 3d knowledge then I began with.
the best D3D beginner book out at the moment is The Zen of Direct3d Game Programming.

Eric Wright o0Programmer0o
AcidRain Productions
http://www.acidrainproductions.com
Eric Wright o0Programmer0o
Beginning Direct3d Game Programming is good and bad. I have the book and it seems a little more technical than Zen, but here are some ins and outs:

1. It uses the Common Files Framework. Some people like it, some people dont, but it is good for beginners until you can learn what the files do for you. The good thing about it is that all the examples in the SDK use it as well, so you get an intro into an environment to where there's a few examples that are beyond basic.

2. Sometimes the author is just not clear. He does skip some explanation that you see code for or doesnt explain it enough. I used the DirectX SDK along with the book to help clarify things.

3. He does start pretty basic, but he doesnt go into creating a blank window like Zen does. The author assumes you know how to make a WIN32 window and starts on the Common Files after a few BS chapters on History, yet another intro to OOP and COM, etc. Chapter 5 is when the book starts to get good.

All in all, it's a decent book. There is NO GOOD BOOK out on DirectX right now. None. I have been patiently waiting. Andre Lamothe stood me up and delayed his new release, and if you check Amazon, there are two new books on DirectX 8 by this Christmas. Ian Parberry has a DirectX 8 book, but it's just flat out a lie. It uses DirectDraw from DX 7 and claims DX 8 since DDraw is included in the library.

Depending on your level of expertise, go for Beginning Direct3D or Zen. I admit I have only glanced thru Zen, but it seemed like a decent book, but had more of a basic beginning than Direct3D.

Paladin

Edited by - sirPaladin on September 6, 2001 5:08:16 PM
I havent checked out Zen yet, I''ll have a look into it but yeah so far I havent seen a DX book that I thought : hey that book is good from page 1 to the end. Some were outrageous scams, they claimed to teach DX 8 and when you look at the code it''s DX 5!! Or the 3d theory is excellent but the explanation of D3D is incredibly poor. When I read the red book after that it was like WOW it''s clear. I didnt think it was possible for a 3d book ^_^.
Whats the full name for the ''red book''?
the red book = OpenGL Programming Guide
The worst book on D3D I read.. If you have completed NeXe. You know more about D3D then you can get out of that book.
------------------------------------------------------------I wrote the best video game ever, then I woke up...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement