Sign in to follow this  

visual c++ express and grid/spreadsheets

This topic is 2491 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

I'm wondering if there is a way to have a flexgrid or spreadsheet in my win32 app without using MFC. I only have the express version of visual C++ 2010, so MFC is out.

I have a 2d array that i need to show the user so he/she can edit/modify the contents of the array. I am making a rom editor program that will need this type of interface :

[img]http://image.hondatuningmagazine.com/f/9072035/0506_ht_07_z+ecu_tuning+turboedit.jpg[/img]

Any ideas?

thanks in advance.

Do have any GUI so far?

You need a UI library/framework like [url="http://qt.nokia.com/"]Qt[/url] or [url="http://www.wxwidgets.org/"]wxWidgets[/url]. Both of these are free and can be used under the terms of the LGPL. I haven't used wxWidgets myself, yet, but I really enjoy working with Qt. By the way, even if MFC was an option for you, I'd still suggest to use one of the above, but that is only personal preference.

Since you're using VS and assuming this does not need to be cross-platform: Can you use C++/CLI ? In which case you have access to the .NET library and Windows Forms in particular. This exposes the DataGridView which is pretty flexible and easy to use.

Thanx for the replies guys. I thought CLI was disabled for the express versions of visual studio, but I think I am wrong about that; so I will have to check that out.

I'll also check out Qt and wxWidgets. If I run into a wall trying this stuff out, I'll post in this thread. Thanx again guys....I knew you guys would come thru!

[quote]...I thought CLI was disabled for the express versions of visual studio...[/quote]
Nope, even the GUI designer works (just checked with VS 2008 Express). Start a New Project/VisualC++/CLR/Windows Forms Application. [i]Enable View/ToolBox[/i]. Drop controls to your form and change the properties.

For the custom cell coloring you wanna look at the DataGridView.CellPainting event IIRC.

[quote name='unbird' timestamp='1297945776' post='4775373']
[quote]...I thought CLI was disabled for the express versions of visual studio...[/quote]
Nope, even the GUI designer works (just checked with VS 2008 Express). Start a New Project/VisualC++/CLR/Windows Forms Application. [i]Enable View/ToolBox[/i]. Drop controls to your form and change the properties.

For the custom cell coloring you wanna look at the DataGridView.CellPainting event IIRC.
[/quote]

awesome, thanx! I have a free weekend (finally!) so, I have a chance to really figure this stuff out. Thanx again everybody!

This topic is 2491 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.