Sign in to follow this  
ajm113

Should I Just Write My Own Screenshot Code? (FreeImage vs DIY)

Okay I'm working on a vector image editor and I created a export application and all it is, is pretty much a GLUT app that reads the pixels off the OpenGL window real fast and uses FreeImage to save the frame as a file type. This works and all, but I'm getting ugly results... XP And yes I looked at the frame before my GLUT app closes to see what the frame works like in the GLUT window.

I'll attach some example images FreeImage makes when I tell it to save raw pixels, as you can tell I get different results on different file types on the same thing and I appear to loss lots of detail when I export a frame from OpenGL -> FreeImage -> File Type on system. (You have to zoom into the image to see the image better)

Should I just create my own export script for supported file types or should I just do some changes in my FreeImage export script?

Here is some code:

[code]

glutSwapBuffers();

if(m_ImageType != IMAGE_TRANSPARENT)
{

imageData = (BYTE *)malloc(RenderImageWidth*RenderImageHeight*3); //Allocate memory for storing the image
glReadPixels(0, 0, RenderImageWidth, RenderImageHeight, GL_BGR, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, imageData); //Cop
}else{
imageData = (BYTE *)malloc(RenderImageWidth*RenderImageHeight*4); //Allocate memory for storing the image

glReadPixels(0, 0, RenderImageWidth, RenderImageHeight, GL_BGRA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, imageData); //Cop

}

FIBITMAP* Image;
if(m_ImageType != IMAGE_TRANSPARENT)
{
Image = FreeImage_ConvertFromRawBits(imageData, RenderImageWidth, RenderImageHeight, 3*RenderImageWidth, 24, 0xFF0000, 0x00FF00, 0x0000FF, false);
}else{
Image = FreeImage_ConvertFromRawBits(imageData, RenderImageWidth, RenderImageHeight, 4*RenderImageWidth, 32, 0xFF0000, 0x00FF00, 0x0000FF, false);
}
FreeImage_Save( formato, Image, ImageSavePath.c_str(), 0);
FreeImage_Unload(Image);
[/code]

As you can tell most of the variable names are self explanatory such as m_ImageType is a enum to determin if an image is using a alpha channel for the background and RenderImageWidth & RenderImageHeight are the image's size I want to export.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm using my project to help my girl friend to start her own business and I want to put my program to the test creating business cards, but if I'm asking too much from what these image file types can do, please say so.

Thanks, Andrew.