Sign in to follow this  
shiqiu1105

DX11 Request for advice of building a demo of scene exploring.

I'm currently working on project of scene exploring, in which I need to simulate the inside of a building. This is the first time I create a demo like this, so I'm requesting some kind advices. :)
In the first place, all I know is that this demo is gonna be something very much like a FPS game(Controlable camera, interative environment and objects). It's also required to play vedio and display image. Anyway, I dont know about the sophisticated way to do this.
Is Scene Graph needed to manage the objects in the scene? And should I use the progammable-pipeline to do the shading and shadow or the fixed-pipeline? And which is the most suitable API? DX9 or DX11?
What I'm planning to do now is to first build the model of the room using MAYA, and then input the model to DX. Then I'll add shadow and floor relection and maybe global lighting(if I can).
I want to know if Scene Graph is necessary, and please give me as many advice as possible.. And please teach me how to play vedio in DX9 or DX11...

Please refrain from <a href="http://www.gamedev.net/topic/595583-request-for-advice-of-building-a-demo-of-scene-exploring/page__p__4774515#entry4774515">Cross Posting</a> on these forums.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By skyemaidstone
      Hello!
      I've read MJP's great post on CSM and jiggling/shimmering and it seem to be the exact problem i'm having (I realise it's from 7 years ago or so but it seems very relevant)
      I was hoping someone you had time to help me solve it or point me in the right direction. I feel like i've learned the concepts and read everything I can find on the subject but I just can't seem to solve it. I'm more than happy to pay someone for their time, I just want this solved so I can forget about it because my game is at a fun stage were I can really start adding all the good bits (combat and spell effects, dungeons, swords etc). 
      Anyway..
      Here is a youtube video of the problem. I turn on the render target view about halfway through so you can see the shadow map top right. I've turned off all but the closest cascade for now and stretched it rather far so the quality isn't amazing but it shows the jiggling problem nicely.
      Please help
      My method for making the projection is pretty short and is very similar to MJPs post:
      public void GenerateCSMOrthoSliceTS(float pNearClip, float pfarClip) { Vector3[] frustumCorners = new Vector3[8]; Matrix mCameraViewProj = _Camera.CameraView; mCameraViewProj *= Matrix.CreatePerspectiveFieldOfView(MathHelper.PiOver4, _Camera._aspectRatio, pNearClip, pfarClip); BoundingFrustum oCameraViewProjFrustum = new BoundingFrustum(mCameraViewProj); frustumCorners = oCameraViewProjFrustum.GetCorners(); Vector3 frustumCenter = new Vector3(0, 0, 0); for (int i = 0; i < 8; i++) frustumCenter += frustumCorners[i]; frustumCenter /= 8; // don't bother recaculating the radius if we've already done it if (radius == 0) radius = (frustumCorners[0] - frustumCorners[6]).Length() / 2.0f; Vector3 eye = frustumCenter + (SunlightDirection * radius); ShadowLightPos = eye; Vector3 ShadowLookAt = frustumCenter; ShadowLightView = Matrix.CreateLookAt(eye, ShadowLookAt, new Vector3(0, 1, 0)); ShadowLightProjection = Matrix.CreateOrthographicOffCenter(-radius, radius, -radius, radius, -radius * 8.0f, radius * 8.0f); ShadowLightViewProjectionMatrix = ShadowLightView * ShadowLightProjection; if (_nojiggle) { float ShadowMapSize = 4096.0f; // Set this to the size of your shadow map Vector3 shadowOrigin = Vector3.Transform(Vector3.Zero, ShadowLightViewProjectionMatrix); shadowOrigin *= (ShadowMapSize / 2.0f); Vector2 roundedOrigin = new Vector2((float)Math.Round(shadowOrigin.X), (float)Math.Round(shadowOrigin.Y)); Vector2 rounding = roundedOrigin - new Vector2(shadowOrigin.X, shadowOrigin.Y); rounding /= (ShadowMapSize / 2.0f); Matrix roundMatrix = Matrix.CreateTranslation(rounding.X, rounding.Y, 0.0f); ShadowLightViewProjectionMatrix *= roundMatrix; } }  
    • By Baemz
      Hello,
      I've been working on some culling-techniques for a project. We've built our own engine so pretty much everything is built from scratch. I've set up a frustum with the following code, assuming that the FOV is 90 degrees.
      float angle = CU::ToRadians(45.f); Plane<float> nearPlane(Vector3<float>(0, 0, aNear), Vector3<float>(0, 0, -1)); Plane<float> farPlane(Vector3<float>(0, 0, aFar), Vector3<float>(0, 0, 1)); Plane<float> right(Vector3<float>(0, 0, 0), Vector3<float>(angle, 0, -angle)); Plane<float> left(Vector3<float>(0, 0, 0), Vector3<float>(-angle, 0, -angle)); Plane<float> up(Vector3<float>(0, 0, 0), Vector3<float>(0, angle, -angle)); Plane<float> down(Vector3<float>(0, 0, 0), Vector3<float>(0, -angle, -angle)); myVolume.AddPlane(nearPlane); myVolume.AddPlane(farPlane); myVolume.AddPlane(right); myVolume.AddPlane(left); myVolume.AddPlane(up); myVolume.AddPlane(down); When checking the intersections I am using a BoundingSphere of my models, which is calculated by taking the average position of all vertices and then choosing the furthest distance to a vertex for radius. The actual intersection test looks like this, where the "myFrustum90" is the actual frustum described above.
      The orientationInverse is the viewMatrix in this case.
      bool CFrustum::Intersects(const SFrustumCollider& aCollider) { CU::Vector4<float> position = CU::Vector4<float>(aCollider.myCenter.x, aCollider.myCenter.y, aCollider.myCenter.z, 1.f) * myOrientationInverse; return myFrustum90.Inside({ position.x, position.y, position.z }, aCollider.myRadius); } The Inside() function looks like this.
      template <typename T> bool PlaneVolume<T>::Inside(Vector3<T> aPosition, T aRadius) const { for (unsigned short i = 0; i < myPlaneList.size(); ++i) { if (myPlaneList[i].ClassifySpherePlane(aPosition, aRadius) > 0) { return false; } } return true; } And this is the ClassifySpherePlane() function. (The plane is defined as a Vector4 called myABCD, where ABC is the normal)
      template <typename T> inline int Plane<T>::ClassifySpherePlane(Vector3<T> aSpherePosition, float aSphereRadius) const { float distance = (aSpherePosition.Dot(myNormal)) - myABCD.w; // completely on the front side if (distance >= aSphereRadius) { return 1; } // completely on the backside (aka "inside") if (distance <= -aSphereRadius) { return -1; } //sphere intersects the plane return 0; }  
      Please bare in mind that this code is not optimized nor well-written by any means. I am just looking to get it working.
      The result of this culling is that the models seem to be culled a bit "too early", so that the culling is visible and the models pops away.
      How do I get the culling to work properly?
      I have tried different techniques but haven't gotten any of them to work.
      If you need more code or explanations feel free to ask for it.

Thanks.

• By evelyn4you
      hi,
      i have read very much about the binding of a constantbuffer to a shader but something is still unclear to me.
      e.g. when performing :   vertexshader.setConstantbuffer ( buffer,  slot )
       is the buffer bound
      a.  to the VertexShaderStage
      or
      b. to the VertexShader that is currently set as the active VertexShader
      Is it possible to bind a constantBuffer to a VertexShader e.g. VS_A and keep this binding even after the active VertexShader has changed ?
      I mean i want to bind constantbuffer_A  to VS_A, an Constantbuffer_B to VS_B  and  only use updateSubresource without using setConstantBuffer command every time.

Look at this example:
      SetVertexShader ( VS_A )
      updateSubresource(buffer_A)
      vertexshader.setConstantbuffer ( buffer_A,  slot_A )
      perform drawcall       ( buffer_A is used )

SetVertexShader ( VS_B )
      updateSubresource(buffer_B)
      vertexshader.setConstantbuffer ( buffer_B,  slot_A )
      perform drawcall   ( buffer_B is used )
      SetVertexShader ( VS_A )
      perform drawcall   (now which buffer is used ??? )

I ask this question because i have made a custom render engine an want to optimize to
      the minimum  updateSubresource, and setConstantbuffer  calls

• By noodleBowl
      I got a quick question about buffers when it comes to DirectX 11. If I bind a buffer using a command like:
      IASetVertexBuffers IASetIndexBuffer VSSetConstantBuffers PSSetConstantBuffers  and then later on I update that bound buffer's data using commands like Map/Unmap or any of the other update commands.
      Do I need to rebind the buffer again in order for my update to take effect? If I dont rebind is that really bad as in I get a performance hit? My thought process behind this is that if the buffer is already bound why do I need to rebind it? I'm using that same buffer it is just different data

• By Rockmover
      I am really stuck with something that should be very simple in DirectX 11. 
      1. I can draw lines using a PC (position, colored) vertices and a simple shader just fine.
      2. I can draw 3D triangles using PCN (position, colored, normal) vertices just fine (even transparency and SpecularBlinnPhong shaders).

However, if I'm using my 3D shader, and I want to draw my PC lines in the same scene how can I do that?

If I change my lines to PCN and pass them to the 3D shader with my triangles, then the lighting screws them all up.  I only want the lighting for the 3D triangles, but no SpecularBlinnPhong/Lighting for the lines (just PC). 
      I am sure this is because if I change the lines to PNC there is not really a correct "normal" for the lines.  
      I assume I somehow need to draw the 3D triangles using one shader, and then "switch" to another shader and draw the lines?  But I have no clue how to use two different shaders in the same scene.  And then are the lines just drawn on top of the triangles, or vice versa (maybe draw order dependent)?  
      I must be missing something really basic, so if anyone can just point me in the right direction (or link to an example showing the implementation of multiple shaders) that would be REALLY appreciated.

I'm also more than happy to post my simple test code if that helps as well!

THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!
  • Popular Now