Question about some behind-the-scenes part of video games.

Started by
4 comments, last by nsmadsen 13 years, 2 months ago
So the other day, I was hanging out with a few of my friends and Dani California by the Red Hot Chili Peppers came on, something wonderful happened. One friend started tapping the rhythm on his legs and my other friend joined in, then they started arguing about who did it better. That got me thinking, that could make a decent game. Have an interface with a row of 4 squares, a space, and 4 more squares to visually represent A, S, D, F, J, K, L, ; and have the game analyze .mp3 files, much like audiosurf, and build custom tapping rhythms. Throw in some power ups here, some combos there, and it could make a simple game.

However, my question is how do games like audiosurf analyze music files like that? I'm not asking for a tutorial or anything, but just a few terms to look up and some general idea to help me Wikipedia and Google the rest myself.
Advertisement

my question is how do games like audiosurf analyze music files like that? I'm not asking for a tutorial or anything, but just a few terms to look up and some general idea to help me Wikipedia and Google the rest myself.

Moved. This is not a game design question. You're asking about audio terminology, and technology to analyze audio tracks.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I have heard others refer to this as "Beat Analyzing Algorithms". Maybe also search for "Guitar Hero Behind the Scenes" "How does Rock Band Work" and so on. I believe there are some simple libraries out there that may already do this. Perhaps adding in the word "Library" when when searching for "Beat Analyzing"

Dan Mayor

Professional Programmer & Hobbyist Game Developer

Seeking team for indie development opportunities, see my classifieds post

[quote name='Zummy' timestamp='1297867376' post='4774974']
my question is how do games like audiosurf analyze music files like that? I'm not asking for a tutorial or anything, but just a few terms to look up and some general idea to help me Wikipedia and Google the rest myself.

Moved. This is not a game design question. You're asking about audio terminology, and technology to analyze audio tracks.
[/quote]

Thanks! and I'm sorry, this won't happen again!

[quote name='Tom Sloper' timestamp='1297868596' post='4774979']

Thanks! and I'm sorry, this won't happen again!
[/quote]
No apology necessary. Just keep in mind that when you have a question, you get the best answers if you ask it in the right place.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

There are basically two methods:

1) Beat analyzing software - which has already been mentioned.

2) MIDI recreations of the songs which "play" in the background behind the audio. This is how Guitar Hero and Rock Band work. If you hit the controller at the right time, the MIDI note tells the audio engine to play back that section of the audio. If you miss it then it plays a screw up sound (i.e. bad drum stroke or messed up guitar strum/pick).

It's important to note that you don't usually see both methods used at the same time.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement