Sign in to follow this  

Additional Libraries to consider with DirectX?

This topic is 2489 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone. Long time lurker first time poster, but I'll spare you my life story...

I'm just transitioning from iPhone and Android apps into wanting to make 3D games. I find there's a lot less hand holding with making games, and I've decided to start with DX 9.0c as my starting point, which I'm getting a grasp on. What I'm wondering is, is it feasible or sensical (real word?), to look at making an entire game in Direct X from the ground up, including writing your own mesh importers etc, or are there any 3rd party libraries out there that go very well with DirectX and are highly regarded? Are there any libraries out there that just make life that much simpler with DirectX that everyone uses them, or do lots of people go from the ground up going all DirectX and writing their own tools? I do love coding don't get me wrong, but I like less code as well...

Any info on my extremely vague question would be appreciated. Thanks!

[quote name='Jed' timestamp='1297871220' post='4774997']
... is it feasible or sensical (real word?), to look at making an entire game in Direct X from the ground up, including writing your own mesh importers etc...
[/quote]
To gain knowledge, sure. In reality, I wouldn't advise it, but I may be in the minority. Game development is difficult enough as it is without reinventing the wheel.

Depending on the platforms you're targeting, you could look into [url="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=9AC86ECA-206F-4274-97F2-EF6C8B1F478F"]XNA Game Studio[/url].

I would think you would do fine with DX9.0c. With regard to importing, take a look at the Assimp library for conversions for common modeling program output formats. Dx9 is nice because the D3DX extension* supports x-file import/export directly to/from meshes, etc., It also includes support for mesh animation loading/saving which was dropped in Dx11 (don't know about Dx10). XACT (audio tool) works very nicely with Dx9 and is included in the SDK. I found using XACT for sound to be easily integrated.

*D3DX stands for D3D extension so I guess that belongs in the Department of Redundancy Department.

Great thanks for the replies guys. I've used XNA a fair bit, and I want to do something on a lower level in C++, so that's why.

Do you guys find you do lots of scripting in Direct X? If so do you have a preferred language?

Also thanks for the Assimp nod. It looks very nice...and potentially time saving.

Thanks again. Any more comments would be great!

This topic is 2489 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.