• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Terrain Level Of Detail and SetIndices(...)

This topic is 5980 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a problem using SetIndices. I have a grid X by Y which represents my terrain as a set of coordinates {x,y,z} and color (for representing height). Thats no problem. Because it is inneficient to display ALL the quads for the terrain at any one time I am implementing a Level Of Detail (LOD) algorithm. Goes something like this. If at a far enough distance I will draw a single quad that holds 16 x 16 terrain tiles, a little closer 8 x 8 and so on. So if my terrain is 128 by 128 tiles (meaning 129 by 129 vertices) at the lowest LOD the top left quad indices are (assuming a triangle list and not a strip) 2064,0,2065 and 0,1,2065. (this covers 16x16 terrain tiles) Okay.... If I want to use the same indeces BUT move over by 16 tiles I should be able to do this: SetIndices(m_pIB,16) BUT.... when I call: DrawIndexedBuffer(D3DPT_TRIANGLELIST,0,16641,2) I get ''Streams do not have required number of vertices'' from DirectX (Debug mode, max output) But if I: SetIndices(m_pIB,0) It works!!! Can anyone shed some light? I have tried a multiptude of variations, but to no effect. Thanx in advance. D.V.

Advertisement
Okay, here''s the kicker. It works with the retail bersion of DX8. (will kinda, some of the vertice values go wacko).

Whats the deal?

D.V.

• Advertisement