stats overhead display for mobiles

Started by
3 comments, last by HighTreason 13 years, 2 months ago
just a quick question. In my game, I have made it so that if a mobile (pr other player) has less than maximum health, stamina, or mind points, a little bar is shown above their head indicating it. this is pretty common so I'm sure you know what I mean. My question is this. Would you rather see all three floating above their head (takes more room on the screen) or only the ones that are less than the maximum. Right now, it is doing the second one. So if the mobile is low on health, it shows a health bar. If he is low on health and stamina, it shows health and stamina bars, etc. The other way which would be very easy to change to would show all three even if only health was lower or only stamina.

By the way, that bars fill with different colors so it shouldn't be TOO hard to distinguish them, but who knows. people have been confused by less confusing things.

What do you think?

Game designer and programmer for Stand Off Software, maker of fine adventure games.

Advertisement
I like the idea of health bars only for enemies i.e. no mana or mind. Also, if health is at max, no need to display the bars.

When it comes to enemies, the player mostly wants them dead... and thus health is the only one that really matters. If you want the player to be able to determine stamina or mind of an enemy, you could put that information in a popup or something that displays when the mouse hovers over the mobile.

Allies or party members on the other hand, it might make sense to some or all three bars.
I'd say only show the health bar if it is below maximum, and leave out the other two.

The low stamina could be expressed by the mob slowing down or having delays in its actions. Low mana is nobody's business :D

I suppose if the game is highly tactical (where the stamina or mana of enemies is VERY important to the decisions the player makes) I guess you could include those bars, again only if they are below maximum. But in general I think it is too much information that isn't nearly as important as health.
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Health bars alone are fine for most enemies but additional bars can incite feelings in the player.

BossSpider.jpg

This picture is the epitome of what I'm getting at.
I suppose I should elaborate a little bit on the game play. Low mind points are important to the player because in most cases, killing the enemy is not the goal, and in fact can result in greatly reduced rewards. The goal is to capture the enemy which can only be done successfully once the enemy is either badly injured (low hit points) or is suffering from mental exhaustion (low mind points). Therefore these two stats are important to know. I guess they don't really need to know about stamina, but it could play into strategy. For example, if the enemy looks exhausted and won't be able to continue fighting much longer, you might stick it out even when you are running low on hit points yourself as you think he will run out of stamina before you run out of health.

and yes, in both systems, no bars will be shown if everything is at full capacity. What are some more opinions about the stamina bar? take it out entirely or not?

Game designer and programmer for Stand Off Software, maker of fine adventure games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement