learn dx11 directly?

Started by
6 comments, last by MJP 13 years, 1 month ago
hi all!
i'm new in dx and i wanna get some help on my study path ??
latest dx version is 11, from 9 to 11 is a long distance, should i learn dx11 directly ?
wether the dx9 need learning first?
thanks for your advise!
Advertisement
DX9 is very different from a programmers point of view than DX10 and 11.

10 and 11 are 95% the same, so you can use DX10 tutorials for DX11 also, just change the 10s in the names to 11s and note that DX11 separates the ID3D10Device into ID3D11Device (for resoruce creation) and ID3D11Context (for rendering/setting states etc.. every frame).

Read the differences between DX10 and 11 if you use DX10 tutorials.

But the entire concept of the pipeline is more or less the same, so you can start with DX10/11.
I completely agree with n3Xus,

The latest DirectX SDK comes with some D3D11 tutorials to get you started.
These tutorials can be found by running the DirectX Sample Browser and searching for "tutorials".
They should guide you up to the point of rendering textured objects with lighting.

After that, while the documentation on the MSDN isn't complete; it's still very useful. I'm constantly finding methods etc and thinking "Ooh that's nice.".

Good luck with your journey.

Saving the world, one semi-colon at a time.

thanks for your help?Now i suddenly see the light ??
I would not recommend learning DX 9 before DX 11 ( I speak with experience of that). I would recommend learning DX 11 directly. My reason is that DX 11 is the up to date version of DX, and DX 9 is not, therefore DX 11 is what would be wisest to learn, and if you want to learn something as opposed to another thing you should prefer to learn it over the other thing.
I want to add a new question here: I have a long experience with DX9 and I want to start learning DX11. Are there any good books out there to learn especially DX11? I am still having trouble to find a decent one when I google for it. I guess it will take some more time for people to expert DX11 and write a good teaching book on it.
I am also looking for a good book on DX11. I need one that covers more than just the basics (like the tutorials online).
Any ideas?
I helped write D3D11 book that should be out soon. Until then, this is an excellent (and free!) resource.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement