Sign in to follow this  
aersixb9

Standard Curriculum based games

I was noticing that the government school curriculums from K-college are all standardized worldwide. Therefore it would probably be a good idea to digitize the information. This was partially inspired by the microsoft express (visual studio) teaching videos. Since 100% of kids need to learn the standard math/sat info, making game environments to teach this information at various grade levels would probably sell good, including for iPhone formats as a supplement or replacement for expensive (time and tax wise) public/private/univershity schooling. This could follow the standard format in a digital presentation, with an ai teacher that plays videos, assigns readings, and grades tests, or in a gamey or other format to teach to the same standardized tests, the SAT and that college one or whatever. This could also make a good web site program, and people would probably pay for this sort of service, especially if paperwork wise it could be a school alternative, or if it was useful in improving test scores or otherwise helping users, or sold to teachers as a homework replacement or teaching aid.

It sounds like you're describing online classes more than anything else, which has its advantages and disadvantages. As for games for teaching, it's not a bad idea, but it's had rocky implementation. I can't think of a single game I've ever played that had education as its primary feature that didn't suck, though there is the odd game that teaches something as a secondary feature. I think that there are going to be a lot of design issues with making subjects fun (what kind of game could teach algebra or pre-calculus while being fun?).