OpenGL 4.1 MIT / BSD / zlib licensed 3D engine

Started by
7 comments, last by kilah 13 years, 1 month ago
Anyone know of an OpenGL 4.1 3D engine project with a MIT / BSD / zlib style license? Very strictly not interested in GPL or LGPL code. No particular feature set or state of completion required, just that 4.1 is actively being worked towards and hasn't languished in apathy.
gamedesign-l pre-moderated mailing list. Preventing flames since 2000! All opinions welcome.
Advertisement
Why do you want GL 4.1?
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);

Why do you want GL 4.1?

Because it is DX11 comparable.
gamedesign-l pre-moderated mailing list. Preventing flames since 2000! All opinions welcome.
I don't know of any and probably there isn't since the features added are very specialized.

If there is one that supports a GL 3.0 context, then adding support for higher versions is easy. You can ignore gl 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2 and just jump into 3.3.
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);

Sure, but what features specifically are you after? I could write a program drawing a triangle using GL 4.1 in a few minutes, but assume that wouldn't be very useful to you. GL version used is largely irrelevant. The features the engine implements are what matters.

[quote name='bvanevery' timestamp='1298133175' post='4776341']

Sure, but what features specifically are you after? I could write a program drawing a triangle using GL 4.1 in a few minutes, but assume that wouldn't be very useful to you. GL version used is largely irrelevant. The features the engine implements are what matters.
[/quote]

I guess you figure there were no reasons to create GL 4.1. Other people figure otherwise. Not enough other people presently, though.
BPTC compression and tessellation seem like good reasons to want 4.x.
To OP: I can understand not wanting GPL, but what's your worry about LGPL? Are you after a commercial fork of an OS engine?
"But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?" --Mark Twain

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Looking for a high-performance, easy to use, and lightweight math library? http://www.cmldev.net/ (note: I'm not associated with that project; just a user)

To OP: I can understand not wanting GPL, but what's your worry about LGPL? Are you after a commercial fork of an OS engine?

If I end up not liking the developers or coming to disagreement with them, I want totally unfettered power to go my own way. The dirty little secret of open source is it's not about the code, it's about the people. One hopes that cooperation prevails, but when it doesn't, I can't have that impact my commercial ambitions.
bvanevery, you do realise that you may have a lower OGL context and still have access to DX11 specific features right? Letting you know as this might be easier to find. A pure 4.1 OGL engine might be hard to find, but vendor specific features on top of older engines are quite common updates.

Cheers

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement