Sign in to follow this  

Sound / Music

This topic is 2492 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I searched the forum and only threads from 2001 and earlier showed up.

I want to know what most modern games uses for sound. Is DirectSound used widely?

Any tutorial / guide on DirectSound is much appreciated.

ps: I hate msdn, I can't learn anything there....

I don't think there is an easy answer to what is better.

Xaudio2, DirectSound, OpenAL, ASIO are all system level interfaces and will require a lot of knowledge about the low level details of audio processing to use effectively. I don't want to make any statements about quality as typically the choice of a low level library has more to do with business and technical requirements (like platform). Low level libraries typically only support a small set of formats and are difficult to use directly. DirectSound has been deprecated and though it may still work in many ways it may not in others (look up hardware audio processing in win7/vista if you are interested).

Higher level libraries XACT, FMOD, Bass, irrKlang (and others), will typically provide a variety of features and support numerous audio formats. These libraries may use any number of the lower level interfaces to support their features across multiple platforms, but typically provide the easiest path to getting sound playing in your game. Unless you have some compelling reason not to use a high level sound library you best bet is here. Pick one that supports your target platforms and that you can afford.

Hope this helps.

Audiokinetic Wwise is another good choice. Its commercial license and small-budget license cost about half again as much as FMOD, but you definitely get what you pay for--"the Cadillac of sound engines". (Like FMOD, it's free for noncommercial use.)

At Pandemic Studios, we switched from a proprietary sound engine to Wwise and never looked back. At my new workplace, we switched from FMOD to Wwise last year and the technical director liked its programming interface a [i]lot[/i] better. It's apparently very easy to work with.

This topic is 2492 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.