Test my Flash game!

Started by
9 comments, last by touch_the_sky 13 years ago
Hello,

I continued working on a Flash Game, now called Wizard Tower.

It's a game with gameplay similar to Chip's Challenge. It'll be released for free, probably as an attempt to get a good score on Newgrounds.com.

It would be really helpful if I could get some feedback about the current state of the game. I'd like to make this game great :)

Please test it out and let me know what you think!

http://lodev.org/wizardtower/wizardtower.swf

I'd be really grateful for all feedback! Feedback about the graphics, levels, gameplay, story, bugs, etc...

Here are a few screenshots:

s1.png s2.png

Thanks!
Advertisement
Hehe, looks quite old school, could do with some music (unless it was a 5 sec piece set too loop;). The maps remind me of some old h.o.m.m. 1 or sth like that. If you're serious about it, make the character movement fluent, better gfx + sounds / music and more hmm... action

Hehe, looks quite old school, could do with some music (unless it was a 5 sec piece set too loop;). The maps remind me of some old h.o.m.m. 1 or sth like that. If you're serious about it, make the character movement fluent, better gfx + sounds / music and more hmm... action

Music will be enabled in the final version, it's not in the test versions because the music is 90% of the filesize.

What kind of action do you mean? Shooting or hack&slashing and such are not intended to be in this game since it's a tile-based puzzle game.
heh, the game did remind me of Chip's Challenge

I only went on until lvl 7 or so, but maybe you could teach the game mechanics in fewer levels? there were some pretty obvious levels that seemed boring to me

Also you should implement a high score system of some sort, maybe based on the number of steps, since otherwise there's not much of a point in tracking them.

I also loved how the Wizard 'likes to see people solve puzzles'. Made me chuckle.

Edit: also, it would be better if you made movement by keeping the key pressed faster than it would be by tapping the key. Otherwise impatient people like me will tap the keys and get tired of it.

The word 'MENU' also needs more contrast between the letters. Either separate the letters, or change the colors of the outline or the inside of the characters.

Edit: also, it would be better if you made movement by keeping the key pressed faster than it would be by tapping the key. Otherwise impatient people like me will tap the keys and get tired of it.
[/quote]

If you hold the key down, you go the fastest possible. It should not be possible to go faster by tapping.

Is it possible to go faster by tapping on your computer? I can't reproduce it here, but if it's possible for you then that's a bug!

Your walking speed should be the same as that of a regular monster, not faster, or some puzzles would break.

I don't really get it!

Is it possible to go faster by tapping on your computer?
[/quote]

Yes, it is on mine.

With the 'more action' bit, I probably meant what's already mentioned -> first few levels seem to be introducing you to the game -> maybe have them separately as a tutorial, then the game itself would start in a more interesting manner?

(I didn't check if it's there or not ) Some sort of save functionality would be nice too

Is it possible to go faster by tapping on your computer?

Yes, it is on mine.
[/quote]

Does this mean you're able to run faster than a slime (one of those green slimy monsters) by tapping the keys really fast?

Could you test the following for me: When the game is running, press the G key so that the "goto" screen opens. In there, instead of entering a level number, enter "timer 500". This makes the game 5 times as slow, including your running speed (the default is timer 100). That makes it really easy to test if you can go faster with tapping. If the timer is 500, you should not be able to move faster than one tile per second (2 x 500 milliseconds, one player step takes two times this timer value).

If you still can go faster by tapping, this is a bug, but I can't reproduce it on my PC!

Thanks a lot!!

With the 'more action' bit, I probably meant what's already mentioned -> first few levels seem to be introducing you to the game -> maybe have them separately as a tutorial, then the game itself would start in a more interesting manner?

I considered making a separate tutorial, but instead think it is better if there's no tutorial and instead the concepts are introduced slowly in the main game.

The very first level contains text scrolls telling the story. But it's very short. Do you think this level should be removed or not?

Then I think I will change the level called "Blocked", which already contains a block puzzle, to become the second level already, instead of having a boring walking level second. Do you think that would make it better?

Which other levels would you also still consider to be tutorial? For example the one called "shield & sword", is that one a boring level or not?
Ok, I had a closer look with normal speed & timer 500 settings -> the fastest I can go is about the speed of the monster. And actually it seems to be moving with the same max speed regardless of whether you're tapping or press & hold the key. But without tests like that you get an illusion that tapping is faster -> I suppose that's cause normally you're used to the fact that when you hold the key stuff would move fluently rather than jump -> so tapping seems hmm... more responsive I guess (one hit - one action, makes sense)
Ok, thanks :)
Hey,

The game has been updated quite a lot, and a graphics artist is working on the graphics now!!

What do you think of the latest state of the game? The new graphics start in level 6 (the outside theme is still the old graphics).

Also, would anyone be interested to make a few levels for it?

It can now be found here:

http://lodev.org/wizardtower/

Or direct link to Flash file here: http://lodev.org/wiz...wizardtower.swf

Thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement