FPS game names that aren't cheesy/Legal stuff

Started by
6 comments, last by adt 13 years, 1 month ago
I'm at a loss here. I don't trust my own judgement in naming something because I don't think my creative skills are that good. The game is a mix of MOH/Battlefield/MW2, with a ton of RPG elements in the game (start off as a Tier 1 operator).

Personally I like Tier-1 SOCOM the best. What's your favorite and do you have any ideas?

Tier-1 SOCOM
Tier-1 Warfighter
Tier-1 Warfare
Tier-1 Counterstrike

Because there is already a game called "SOCOM US Navy SEALS" could I be sued (if I ever do get a contract) by whoever created the game even though my game does not follow the storyline if I chose to call it Tier-1 SOCOM? I noticed on the box art there was a little "TM" sign by the US NAVY SEALS part, but not by SOCOM.
Advertisement
While SOCOM is a official goverment name, it is already used heavily in a very popular series of games (10 games in that series) made by a very large company (Sony). I'd avoid using it as a name. Likewise, "Counterstrike" is a very famous and internationally known FPS. Using that name would be inviting trouble.

Tier-1 Warfare sounds best in my opinion, anyway. Tier-1 SOCOM sounds too clunky, and Tier-1 Counterstrike... well, like I said, Counterstrike is way too well known (Also, too many syllables IMO: Tier... one... count.. ter...strike. Same with: Tier... one... war.. fight... er...).

If you don't like Tier-1 Warfare, maybe Tier-1 Special Ops? Saw that name on this wikipedia page. (Tier One Special Operations Force = T1-SOF or TOSOF or T1-SpecOps?)

Or, how's SFOD (Special Forces Operational Detachment)?
How about
Tier 1: Bioshock
Tier 1: Doom 3
Tier 1: Half Life
Tier 1: Banjo Kazooie
Tier 1: Castle Wolfenstein
Tier 1: Duke Nukem Forever

"It's like naming him Asskicker Monstertrucktits O'Ninja" -Khaiy

Discussion of game names is fine here, but discussion of the legality of game names and trademarks would best go into the Business/Legal forum. You'd get the best answers over there, and it's likely that any questions you might have have already been asked and answered numerous times there.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I prefer "Tier-1 Warfare" from the list you have given. Personalthough i would use "Tier-1 Special Ops" or an abbreviation thatServant of the Lord proposed. SOCOM even if not a legal issue would honestly beconfusing for me (i wouldn't be sure if it was part of the franchise or not).

Personally i think the name should match the game in some sense. If there’sa lot of covert ops play, the player being the scalpel as i where, then go fora Special Ops name of some-sort. If there is a lot of open battles, the playerbeing part of a big military hammer, then go for a more generalized name, likethe battlefield series did. From what you have said it seems the game-playleans towards the former rather than the latter.

Is it just me, or does every GDnet poster also frequent 4chan?

I fall in behind SotL with Tier 1 Warfare as the best of the names you've offered, for all the reasons he suggested. At the base level, though, the quality of your product is the key ingredient here, and what you choose to call it is a small thing. Hell, always remember that "Rainbow 6" became synonymous with excellent tactical gunfight simulations. Motherfucking RAINBOW 6. Make a good product, and whatever you choose to call it will be the name of a good product.

Hell, always remember that "Rainbow 6" became synonymous with excellent tactical gunfight simulations.
And it even did so while competing against the Rainbow Warrior =D
Hahah thanks guys =D

By the way.... I've never posted on 4chan before.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement