• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SirPaladin

To Common File or not Common File...

This topic is 6283 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have seen that the SDK contains the Common File framework, but up to now, I''ve been trying to avoid it based on presumptions of overhead and possible performance costs in using the files as I learn DirectX. Can anyone tell me why or why I should not use them? I''m willing to do what it takes to learn without them, but I''m wondering what I''m gaining at this point. Thanks, Paladin

Advertisement
the framework is pretty good. There are always performance costs associated with using a general solution, but in this case, I''d say they''re minimal. Some parts, like CD3DFont are very good (FAR better than GDI).

The one thing you might lose is you might get too comfortable with the framework and never learn how to handle certain things yourself.

I''d say if you want to learn specific things, wrap it in the common framework, but eventually move toward developing your own framework that''s optimized to your needs (after/as you learn the other stuff)

I completely agree with CrazedGenius...I used the common files for my first game project, and they helped me a lot. I was able to avoid several mistakes that I have seen others make. Since that first project, I''ve started on a 2nd more complicated one, and I''ve decided to use the common files again. They really provide a good place to start from, and if you like Classes, they give you a good way to encapsulate things.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the info. I may have to back track a small amount to use them, but at this point, it may be worth it till I get a game or two behind me. Thanks for the info.

Paladin

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!