Asteroid Runner

Started by
7 comments, last by James Warren 13 years, 1 month ago
The objective of Asteroid Runner is to stay alive while navigating through an asteroid field of increasing difficulty. There are currently 5 power ups, which can be obtained and used later by pressing shift.

Power-Ups include:

[color="#1C2837"]- Health
- Sensor Mode
- A laser boost
- A bomb
- The ability to slow down time.

If you enjoy the game, you can upload your score to the scoreboard on the Asteroid Runner website by creating a login name. Creating a login name does not require any personal information, and there is also an offline mode if you choose not to do this.

I would greatly appreciate any critiques, comments, or criticism.

Link to the game site: Asteroid Runner

[media]
[/media]

asteroidrunner.jpg

[size="3"]Check out my gam[size="3"]e: [size="3"]Asteroid Runner
[size=2]
Advertisement
Hi, looks very good, but I could not play it - it misses the MSVCR100D.dll. :(
Visit my personal page, and follow the Rat King on Facebook & Twitter!
Thanks for trying it mineralwasser, I just uploaded a version that should work now.
[size=2]
I figure I should include an image since most of the games posted have some sort of image:

asteroidrunner.jpg
[size=2]
I just added 5 new power ups to the Asteroid Runner:

- Health
- Sensor Mode
- A laser boost
- A bomb
- The ability to slow down time.

The game is a lot more interesting now, and aside from a few more power ups that I may add later it is pretty much complete.

I would really love to hear any feedback you may have, I have probably spent over 100 hours on this game trying to make it as fun as possible.
[size=2]
Not bad, could be much better with some tweaks though:
1) The background image - it's not moving at all, it ruins the whole idea of having an impression that you're you moving in space imho. Could you try having a bigger background image which you would scroll slowly (a loop - you'll need to get something which is big enough and makes sense) or just not have it at all - stars / asteroids which already move nicely with varied speeds should do the trick.
If you want to spend some more time on this, you could prepare let's say 5 images of hmm.. planets, etc. -> during the game you could 'fly in the dark space' most of the time, while passing an occasional large object (and not the same one all the time).
2) I died after one hit. All that happened was - my spaceship disappeared while I was still able to shoot (heard the sounds). I pressed the Esc key which happily closed the whole app for me - is it supposed to be like that?
Yeah I'm aware that the shooting sounds still occur after you die, I should probably fix that, wouldn't be too hard though. The intro screen shows that pressing enter restarts, while pressing escape quits, so if you wanted to keep playing (which it sounds like you didn't), you could have pressed enter.

The largest asteroid will kill you in one hit, the medium sized ones take off 2 hitpoints and the smallest ones take of one hitpoint. Hitpoints regenerate over time too.

About the moving background, I considered having moving stars or something in the background, but it doesn't make much sense logically, because you would have to be moving at light speed to see the stars moving in the distance, or planets for that matter. I chose a nebula as the background, and I have smaller, more distant, asteroids moving at various speeds to try to create the illusion of depth.

Thanks for trying my game anyways though.
[size=2]
Heh, I don't play games looking for realism, real-life physics, etc;). I noticed your work on illusion of depth, which in my opinion is being annihilated by this nice, but stationary, non-animated background image (so if I didn't want to work on it, I'd at least get rid of the image and have plain black colour as a background). I know the keys are explained, but you wouldn't normally instant-kill the app with one Esc hit?
I don't think having the game quit by hitting escape is such a bad thing. If hitting escape took you to a menu, then the options seem rather pointless. View controls? I guess, but they are shown at the beginning. Save? The game saves a highscore when you die. I also didn't want a way for people to pause the game, since it could be a way to take a breather, and some of the powerups are intended to provide that. Such as slow motion and the bomb.

I personally don't think the background ruins the illusion of depth, and when I first made the game it was a dark background with stars and I felt that it looked a little bit bland honestly.

I appreciate your suggestions, and I think that I am going to make it so when you die something like, "Press enter to restart" will fade in and out on the center of the screen.
[size=2]
I just updated the game. I fixed the bug where it lets you shoot after you are dead, and I added a message that tells you how to restart.
[size=2]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement